Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Dutch Oven Apple Cobbler - Scout Style!

Dutch Oven Apple Cobbler - Scout Style!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:56 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

One of my colleagues came into town last Friday from upstate New York and brought me some apples picked from his apple tree. There wasn't any way we were going to be able to eat that many apples before they went bad, so I had to find a use for a bunch of them. I thought that some dutch oven apple cobbler would be perfect!

Folks - it doesn't get any easier than this. Recipe & pics below:

Ingredients

10-15 Apples cored and sliced into about 6 pieces per apple
1 cup of Brown Sugar
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
1 Stick Butter (Unsalted)
Cinnamon

Equipment
12 Inch Dutch Oven
Dutch Oven liner or parchment paper for easy cleanup
Charcoal
Charcoal Chimney

Method

Place liner into oven

Wash Apples, core, slice & lay in bottom of dutch oven

Pour brown sugar over apple slices

Pour cake mix over brown sugar (do not mix)

Cut stick of butter into pats and evenly space across the top then sprinkle with cinnamon

Time to Cook! Place 10 hot briquettes on bottom and 10 to 15 on top

Cooking usually is 45 min to 1 hour depending on temperature / wind conditions. Check after 30-45 minutes, it is done when the crust starts to brown and you can see the apples/brown sugar mixture bubbling up through the crust.

The only thing missing was VANILLA ICE CREAM! :shock: :D

tex
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

jfm0830 well done
well done

You are right, that sure does look delicious! It is an easy recipe as you say, but thank you for the detailed pictures they made it even easier. I am curious though: does the recipe give a temperature if you're not using coals on the Dutch oven and you're actually cooking it in an over or on a grill? Thanks for sharing.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

tex_toby well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
You are right, that sure does look delicious! It is an easy recipe as you say, but thank you for the detailed pictures they made it even easier. I am curious though: does the recipe give a temperature if you're not using coals on the Dutch oven and you're actually cooking it in an over or on a grill? Thanks for sharing.

Jim

My recipe only talked about using coals, but if I were doing it in the oven or grill I would probably bake around 350 and just keep an eye on it. I must warn you though....it is GUD! :)

tex

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great job, Toby! Looks like the apples were nice and juicy! Do you remember what variety they were?

tex_toby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Do you remember what variety they were?

No clue - they were of the free variety :lol:

timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

looks good toby apple cobbler is a favorite of mine
TIMS BBQ

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Too cool! I gotta try this with my DO. I haven't even used the lid on mine yet.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Oh yeah, I can picture those beauties with vanilla ice cream! That's just too cool to cook that in your DO, Tex. I''m inspired... And I live just down the mountains from apple country on the desert (or is that dessert) floor. :D
Got beer???

Griffin well done
well done

tex_toby wrote:
No clue - they were of the free variety :lol:

Ahhh.....my favorite kind. Love your use of a ductch oven to cook this. I'd have to go buy another one if I wanted to make this as the one I have doesn't have a flat lid like yours. Very cool cook, Tex.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
And I live just down the mountains from apple country on the desert (or is that dessert) floor. :D

I thought SoCal was all citrus fruit and the like...you have apples growing there, too?

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
beercuer wrote:
And I live just down the mountains from apple country on the desert (or is that dessert) floor. :D

I thought SoCal was all citrus fruit and the like...you have apples growing there, too?

Yessir. And it's quite a big to do too. Beauty is, you can go right up there, pick 'em absolutely fresh from the trees yourself and pay for them. All kinds of varieties. We're even known as the land of the dates-- you know, those sweet little treats that look like cucarachas. This area is amazing. Not just citrus, but everything from strawberries to chickens and eggs as well. Milk and CHEESE too :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion