Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hamsteaks, Black Eyed Peas & Sweet Potatoes

Hamsteaks, Black Eyed Peas & Sweet Potatoes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

Weber’s Charcoal Grilling was the source for this recipe called Honey Glazed Ham with Black Eyed Peas and while I was prepping this recipe I fired up the BGE for smoking and threw on some sweet potatoes. When It was almost time to grill the ham steaks I put the sweet potatoes in a 225 degree oven for the last 15 minutes. This was the last meal I made for the guys working on my grill gazebo and it was a big hit. Hamsteak is my favorite meal, so it was a big hit with me.

The smoked sweet potatoes were rubbed with EVOO and seasoned with Kosher salt & black pepper. They are on an SR potato rack.

The sweet potatoes are on and will cook at 225 for 2 hours. I threw on a medium sized hickory chunk every hour.

The black eyed peas salsa used black eyed peas (duh), diced tomatoes, finely chopped Italian parsley, sliced scallions, EVOO, Kosher salt and black pepper.

The ingredients are cut up, measured out and are ready to mix.

The finished black eyed peas salsa is kept out at room temperature for 2 hours to help blend the flavors.

It is time to start grilling the hamsteaks, so the potatoes will finish up in the oven. Once the potatoes are off the Egg, I removed the Plate Setter & s/s grill and put in the cast iron grill and cranked the Egg up to 450 degrees for direct grilling the hamsteaks.

The glaze for the ham used Dijon mustard, chili powder, honey & EVOO.

The finished glaze & hamsteaks are ready to go out to the grill.

the hamsteaks are on the Egg.

The hamsteaks grilled for 8 minutes at 450 degrees and were turned 4 times.

The steaks are glazed with the honey glaze and grilled for 1-2 more minutes more. Glazing the steaks took another minute for a total of 3 minutes, In hindsight I should have pulled the steaks off to glaze them or reduce the cooking time to the 1 minute, not 2. They were starting to char on the back side, not too badly but lesson learned.

Time to eat! Honey Glazed Ham Steaks with Black Eyed Peas & Smoked Sweet Potatoes.

This meal had some great complimentary flavors going on. The honey & mustard in the glaze tasted great with the ham and the sweet potatoes are a natural pairing. The black eyed peas salsa was also a great pairing. This was the first time I think I’ve had black eyed peas and it certainly won’t be the last.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

smokin'gal well done
well done

Looks like a deliciously colorful meal.

Dyal_SC well done
well done

+1 to what smokin'gal said! Looks great.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Griffin well done
well done

:shock: Wow!! You just keep knocking them out of the park. That is one mighty fine looking meal. Got me craving ham steaks now. Can't believe you've never had black eye peas before. Down here in the South, its mandatory to eat them at least on New Year's Day for good luck, but I eat them way more than that.

jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting on my post.

Griffin:
Yep that's right, I've never seen or eaten black-eyed peas before. Growing up here in New England eating was a pretty rigid event, particularly in the suburbs away from the big city. There was this unofficial seven-day meal plan for what meals you had on what day of the week. It wasn't until I went to college in the Detroit area, that I saw what a wide variety of foods that were that people ate. There were many foods I never saw or tried until I was in college. Things have improved greatly around here, it just took a while. Since I've grown up (rumor has it) I compared notes with some friends from around here and their eating habits growing up were pretty much the same. Two weeks ago I was in the supermarket to buy some beans for some homemade baked beans I was making. That's when I spotted the black-eyed peas. I have been eyeing that ham steak recipe for a while now, but that held off because I didn't know where Ozment find black-eyed peas. You can rest assured there going to be part of my diet going forward.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

great looking meal. i was wondering if the salt and pepper gives much flavor to the sweet potatoes. i would love that recipe for the black eyed pea salsa
TIMS BBQ

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Salsa's definitely a different way to use blackeyed peas, that's for sure. I've always had them with a little bit of pork in some form but if salsa can be made with black beans the blackeyed peas are a great variation!

jfm0830 well done
well done

timbarber84 wrote:
great looking meal. i was wondering if the salt and pepper gives much flavor to the sweet potatoes. i would love that recipe for the black eyed pea salsa
Tim:
Actually I don't think the salt-and-pepper does anything to the interior of the sweet potato. But what I found is people that don't normally eat the skins, seem to try the skin of the smoked sweet potatoes and like them enough that they eat the skins. So that's how they get the salt and pepper flavor.

As for the black-eyed pea salsa recipe, as I mentioned that's from Webers Charcoal Grilling cookbook. I poked around a bit online and the recipe is not freely available online. So my personal policy is unless the cookbook author has posted it, I don't share their recipes. I tried seeing if you could go on Amazon and look inside the book, but they don't let you view the pages that the recipes are on. You can definitely get yourself in the general ballpark with the pictures I've already posted. So sorry about that.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

no problem jfm it looks good i think i could get it right in the ball park and thanks for answering
TIMS BBQ

tex_toby well done
well done

I haven't had a ham steak since I was a kid. Think I'm going to change that now!

tex
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Hoppin' John and leapin lizards, Jim! I just luv black eyed peas, and your hamsteaks are wonderfully marked. I've had designs the past couple weeks to satisfy my craving for some Southern comfort by using ham steak to cut into Lima (or Butter) beans with rice and collard greens. That's tomorrow now. :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion