Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork T-Bones & Thursday's Grill Gazebo Progress

Pork T-Bones & Thursday's Grill Gazebo Progress

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

When I first saw the picture of this recipe from Weber’s Charcoal Grilling, I thought it was a t-bone beef steak. When I saw the recipe title of Pork T-bone with Whiskey BBQ Sauce I was even more intrigued. I love recipes that have a complimentary BBQ sauce recipe included. This was the lunch for me and the guys working on the grill gazebo on Thursday. It marked my first use of the half moon raised grid for the Egg, which allows you to do direct and indirect cooking at the same time. It was also my first high heat pork chop (550 degrees) on the Egg. I’ll let the pictures take over from here. At the very bottom are Thursday’s progress pictures on my grill gazebo. All that is left for today is some metal drip edge and shingling the roof and my grills can move into their new home. To say I am excited is an understatement.

The Whiskey BBQ Sauce used: Dijon mustard, whiskey, garlic powder, sauce Americain, steak sauce & light brown sugar.

The finished sauce. It had a really nice flavor which started off as an initial impression of sweet and then got tangy the longer it was in your mouth. It was perfect for this pork.

The spice rub used: Ground cloves, cayenne pepper, cumin, minced onions, garlic powder, sweet paprika, light brown sugar, kosher salt & black pepper.

The finished rub.

I’ve got some hickory chips soaking in the SR Wood Chip Soaker.

Here are the 1 1/4” thick bone-in loin chops.

The chops get rubbed and sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Here the rubbed chops have just gone on the grill for 8 minutes of direct grilling at 550 degrees.

The chops are done direct grilling and now go on the half moon raised grid for another 10 minutes or so to reach 140 degrees internal.

The chops measure 140 degrees internal and it is time to take them off and give them a 5 minute rest. The half moon raised grid did it's job well. The only thing I don’t like is the relatively small size of the half moon grid. I couldn’t have grilled a 4th chop if I had needed to.

Here is the tasty Whiskey BBQ sauce.

Besides the BBQ sauce the chops were served with some Bush Grillin’ Beans.

The finished chops.

This was a really great recipe, everyone was still talking about this cook when they knocked off 4 hours later.

These chops had a narrow but bright pink smoke ring on the inside, they were slightly pink and the juices ran throughout the meat. Why am I describing this instead of showing it? Because it looked so good when I cut into it, that I began eating and forgot totake a picture. You’ll have to trust me and I do have two witnesses.

The grill gazebo is starting to look just like the version in my CAD software. Friday the roof gets shingled and the grills move in.

I think the meals have reaped some extra benefits. I was going to supply the lumber, but one of the guys went and hand picked the lumber for best appearance. They also rounded off all of the edges of the 4x4 posts-something I left off my plans to keep the costs down.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Griffin well done
well done

Oh my goodness!! That looks so good. I think I'm gonna google that recipe and see if I can't repeat it for dinner tonight. I love pork chops, so I'm not sure how it gets off my radar so often.

Bet you are super excited about that gazebo. Quick question...on the second to last picture...it looks like you can see the sky through the roof. Is that an opening or is it going to get covered by the roofing?

Dyal_SC well done
well done

I agree with Griffen....looks killer! Is that opening at the top of the gazebo going to be used for exhaust? Looks like one bad azz grilling station! Can't wait to see the final pix!! 8)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

jstewart well done
well done

Jim,

Those pork chops look delicious!!! Looking forward to seeing your gazebo finished as I'm sure you're anxious to have it completed.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys!

Griffin:
Might be a little late for tonight's dinner, but try going to Amazon.com and look up the cookbook name and see if they don't let you look inside. You might be able to get a peek at the recipe that way.

RE: Slots at the top.
As a couple of you guessed those slots on the top are for ventilation. There will be something called Cobra Vent installed which looks like a plastic Brillo pad like material. it is 12" wide and comes in 20 foot rolls. It gets rolled out over the slots in the ridge and serves as insect screening and ventilation, plus it serves to keep the rain out. Then this will get capped with shingles so you'll barely see it. That is one way to ventilate this thing and the other way was by my leaving the gable ends open. I also raised the height slightly from what I had planned on, because I saw some pictures of shelters that they use at some Egg fasts that were actually similar in construction but appeared slightly higher than what I was planning. So I raised mine up 6 inches to help with the ventilation.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

smokin'gal well done
well done

The chops look delicious Jim. That is one spiffy looking gazebo as well. I bet the builders will be sad when they are done with the job. :D

Griffin well done
well done

Thanks for the idea, Jim. I was able to google the recipe name and I did come up with some hits. I don't know if they were exactly the same as the recipe you used, but I went for it anyway. Probably post it up tomorrow. I'm stuck at work right now and just had 10 minutes to hop on here between samples, but gotta get back at it so can't post now.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice chops, Jim! I'm usually not a big fan of boneless loin chops because they can be so lean but it's a different story when they're still on the bone.

Return to General Discussion