Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Baltimore Pit Beef & Gril Gazebo Progress

Baltimore Pit Beef & Gril Gazebo Progress

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

Today I made Baltimore Pit Beef on the Egg. While I’ve made this before, there were some big differences this time around. This recipe was by SR and was printed in the New York Times. I grilled the meat on the Egg at 600 degrees, about 150 degrees higher than I’ve done in the past. Steven also suggested using either kaiser rolls or rye bread. I had both types around but everyone wanted to try the rye.

We’ve been having work done on our house going on 3 weeks now. I’ve been getting in practice time on my new Egg by making lunch for the 2-3 guys working on the house. This has paid off in many ways including their offering to build my grill gazebo at a greatly reduced price. Work on the grill gazebo began yesterday and I will include a 3D view of what it is going to look like at the end of this post together with a progress photo.

The 2.75 pound eye of the round roast has been trimmed of fat. The next step is to rub and refrigerate the roast.

The rub used oregano, garlic powder, seasoning salt, sweet paprika & black pepper.

The finished rub.

The roast has been rubbed, wrapped in plastic wrap and it is off to the fridge for several hours.

The sauce, called Tiger Sauce, uses lemon juice, fresh horse radish, mayo, salt & pepper.

The finished Tiger Sauce.

Setting up for some slicing. The meat gets thinly sliced on the meat slicer after it comes off the grill and the white onion gets thinly sliced on the mandoline slicer.

The rubbed roast is out of the fridge and has been unwrapped and is ready to go back on the grill.

The meat gets direct grilled over 650 degree high heat.

After about 45 minutes the roast is at 120 degrees internal temperature and is ready to come off the grill and get a 5 minute rest before slicing.

The meat is ready to be thin sliced across the grain.

Time to eat! The meat is served with the thin sliced onions and the Tiger sauce.

The roast beef was moist and tasty, despite being grilled at a very high 650 degrees. The high grilling temp which was something I added and wanted to try, gave the meat a crusty crunch skin.

The sandwich consisted of rye bread, thin sliced roast beef, Tiger Sauce & thin sliced white onions.

Baltimore Pit Beef is my favorite roast beef sandwich. This recipe was excellent and the high temperature grilling gave the meat a nice crunchy crust and the Egg helped the meat retain much of its moisture. Lastly the rye bread was a great choice. I think I like it better than the kaiser rolls.

Here is what my new grill gazebo will look like later this week.

Here is the progress at the end of the day today. Tomorrow the framing should be done. BTW, about 4' gets trimmed off the corner posts. My wife freaked when she got home and saw those posts. She thought I was doing a 2-story grill gazebo.

Jim
Last edited by jfm0830 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

smokin'gal well done
well done

The charring on the meat and the sandwiches look fantastic.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I see absolutely nothing wrong with a 2-story gazebo. :wink:

The beef looks perfect! BPB is one of my go-to recipes because it not only tastes great but is really simple as well. And while it tastes great I never eat so little that it's less filling.

Yesterday I found a container of pit beef sauce that had been sitting in the fridge here at work for at least 4 weeks. While I didn't taste it it smelled and looked OK...the power of horseradish and lemon juice! :lol:

Griffin well done
well done

Man oh man, Does that look good! Something I've wanted to try for years. Just need to get a slicer so I can get those thin slices.

That gazebo is gonna be too cool when it is gone.

lostarrow well done
well done

I'm just thinking......put the EGG on the first floor!
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Dyal_SC well done
well done

NICE! 8) You gotta invite us all over for a Barbecue Bible cookout to help you break in your new grillin' pad! That thing looks awesome! :shock: So does the pit beef...grilled to perfection!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

jfm0830 well done
well done

A belated thanks guys and gal. I've since posted some more advanced progress pictures of the grill gazebo. It is now back to looking like a one-story gazebo with the posts cut off. But that was a point well taken about keeping the BGE on the first floor. Not to mention how you'd have to buy heavier framing lumber for the second floor you were going to put the BGE up there. I am excited because my grills will be moving into their new home this afternoon I will post pictures at some point soon.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Return to General Discussion