Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pittmaster Test Run

Pittmaster Test Run

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:44 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

While smoking some brisket and ribs on Labor Day, the results of which were posted on this site (Labor Day Brisket and Ribs), I was experiencing temp control problems with my old leaky Pittmaster. Yesterday, after trimming back on a previously installed baffle, which was restricting air flow, I decided to give the old girl a test run.

I rubbed a pork shoulder with mustard, spices and brown sugar, placed it in the smoker at 8AM. foiled it at 4PM and removed it at 6PM. Pork was chopped, mixed with my sauce and served on rolls with mac/cheese and slaw.

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:04 am
jstewart well done
well done

Joe,

That is a might fine looking meal :D :D Looks like some pretty good bark on that butt!!! By the way, how did the temps run this go round?
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:41 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Joe, based on your results I think you solved the problem - food looks great!

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:19 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

By the way, how did the temps run this go round?

Thanks Jimmy, I was able to maintain an average temp of 275, inspite of some leakage.

Joe

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice looking pork shoulder, Joe... you mentioned your sauce... What is it like? Do you mind sharing?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:19 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

Don't mind sharing my sauce recipe, which changes from time to time, depending on mood and ingredients.

This time around I used a cup of left over morning coffee, cup of water, cup of brown sugar, about half cup of the spice mixture I used to rub the pork (onion, garlic and chili powders, black pepper), yellow mustard, little liquid smoke and some "Franks Hot Sauce". Placed all the above along with two cans of "Contadina Tomato Sauce" in a sauce pan and simmered until it reduced.

Return to General Discussion