Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Meat Loaf and Mac&Cheese

Meat Loaf and Mac&Cheese

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:04 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Keeping it simple and easy this weekend after the big cook for the Holiday weekend.
I started with a mix of veggies
Processed them finely
Added the veggies to the ground beef and also added dry mash potato mix instead of breadcrumbs. I think it gives it better flavor and texture. I put the meat in a shallow backing pan instead of the traditional loaf pan to expose as much of the surface to smoke as possible.
Fired up the smoker using SFB to 375 and placed the meat loaf. Used Hickory chunks for smoke
45 min into the cooking
I added caramelized onions and mushrooms and topped the meat with slices of fresh tomatoes and drizzled some ketchup.
And added the Mac&Cheese
Cranked up the heat to 400 degrees
ImageFree Image Hosting
50 min later
Dinner is served :)

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:13 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks real good, BBcue-Z! Meatloaf on the smoker totally changed my opinion about meatloaf. :lol: Definitely so much better. I like your idea about adding the extra surface area.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:57 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You've won my heart, Z! That is really creative, and you have inspired me with some ideas. Nice, nice going! You know, in the past I have myself actually used instant mashed potatoes, known around here as "spackle," to thicken up chili. Worked great! :D

Oh, since you mentioned ketchup,... just the other day in the store I spied some "balsamic ketchup." I believe it was made by Heinz. Looks and sounds interesting. Have you seen/tried it?
Got beer???

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 am
Griffin well done
well done

Job well done. Been too long since I've had some smoked meatloaf and yours looks outstanding.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Z, that's meatloaf taken to the next level and then some! The idea of using instant potatoes instead of breadcrumbs is quite interesting!

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great job, Z! Nothing like a bit of comfort food on the Q... :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion