Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Turkey Burgers

Turkey Burgers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:19 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Decided to try something different today for boring ol' turkey burgers. :)

I added Spicy Miso Teriyaki Sauce to mine...

My wife wanted Worcestershire Sauce and Hamburger Seasoning on hers...

These were pretty soft, so I put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm up.

In the meantime, I cut up some Yukon Golds for some homemade fries. I can eat these every day. ;)

Turkey Burgers just about done....I also threw on some Bok Chop to add to my burger.

French Fries....mmmm....;)

I put some Yum Yum Sauce, the Bok Choy and some Roma Tomatoes on my Teriyaki Burger...

Some good eats! Now it's time to go finish watching the Gamecocks put the beat down on East Carolina. ;)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:29 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking and sounding burgers Dyal!!
I’ll have to try that Yum Yum sauce; it sounds good!
The fries look awesome too. A perfect weekend meal :)

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:31 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

My goodness Dyal,... Michelangelo himself could not paint grill marks that amazing! And look at those fries! How do you get them to look, and I imagine, taste like that? Too good-- What's not to luv about a sauce called "Yum Yum." :D
Got beer???

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:39 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thx, fellas'! I couldn't have had a better day... Got to hunt this morning and this evening, while watching the Gamecocks spank East Carolina in between...even got to give the BGE some lovin'...;)

BC, those fries were cooked up using the "cold oil method"...the best way to make homemade fries IMHO...:)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:02 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Thx, fellas'! I couldn't have had a better day... Got to hunt this morning and this evening, while watching the Gamecocks spank East Carolina in between...even got to give the BGE some lovin'...;)

BC, those fries were cooked up using the "cold oil method"...the best way to make homemade fries IMHO...:)

Yes, I understood the "cold oil" idea. I just wondered how to do it. Then the thought came to me to Google it, and I've got it now. Thanks. I guess it's good to know that Yukon Golds are the preferred choice. By the way, my UCLA game was mighty fine and entertaining as well. I also ate well. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Don't know why my response showed up twice...oh well. Sorry about that, beercuer! :) Several people have asked about the cold oil method in the past. For some reason, the search feature has been acting up a little (or it's at least not the same as it used to be) on the forum. SCmustardman is the one that turned me on to that method of making french fries. They are extremely easy, and the best way I've ever had homemade fries. First, you start by cutting up Yukon Gold potatoes into french fries.......you then place them into a pot and cover them with room temperature oil.......then you turn the burner on high.......set your kitchen timer for 20 minutes.......after about 5 minutes, you will notice that they will start to boil in the oil.......after another 15 minutes (once your timer has beeped), give them a stir (if your pot is susceptible to sticking like mine, give them a veeery gentle stir before that point to keep the potatoes from sticking to the bottom).......When they look nice and golden brown, take them out with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl lined with paper towels.......then sprinkle them down with Sea Salt.......simple as that! :)

What did you make for your game, beercuer? I take it that UCLA won the game? :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:16 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Don't know why my response showed up twice...oh well. Sorry about that, beercuer! :) Several people have asked about the cold oil method in the past. For some reason, the search feature has been acting up a little (or it's at least not the same as it used to be) on the forum. SCmustardman is the one that turned me on to that method of making french fries. They are extremely easy, and the best way I've ever had homemade fries. First, you start by cutting up Yukon Gold potatoes into french fries.......you then place them into a pot and cover them with room temperature oil.......then you turn the burner on high.......set your kitchen timer for 20 minutes.......after about 5 minutes, you will notice that they will start to boil in the oil.......after another 15 minutes (once your timer has beeped), give them a stir (if your pot is susceptible to sticking like mine, give them a veeery gentle stir before that point to keep the potatoes from sticking to the bottom).......When they look nice and golden brown, take them out with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl lined with paper towels.......then sprinkle them down with Sea Salt.......simple as that! :)

What did you make for your game, beercuer? I take it that UCLA won the game? :)

Thanks a million, Dyal! I rather like the solid precise directions. Whatever, I've got to give these a try... Yours just came out so magnificent. On a side note, I have discovered that the best way to search this forum is to Google the desired topic, but to include "barbecue bible" in the search field. Isn't that crazy.

Oh yeah my Bruins won. There were some remarkable plays on both sides-- most engaging. I have a lot of teams I like, but the San Diego Chargers especially are a "must see" for me. As for eats, I had a sports meal weekend from some tritip and butt roast I smoked up. For that game I made hard shell tacos. I got a lotta pics, which I hope to post sometime tonight before I lose consciousness. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 am
Griffin well done
well done

Another outstanding meal, Dyal. I really need to get that CI grate. it makes all your meals looks so much better. How much do they run? Ballpark.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:22 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Another outstanding meal, Dyal. I really need to get that CI grate. it makes all your meals looks so much better. How much do they run? Ballpark.

Thanks, Grif! I think I paid $65 for the grate. I picked mine up at my local dealer, Griffin Pools and Spas. I should have called you first to get the family discount.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:19 am
BchrisL User avatar
rare
rare

Recently I got several 1 lb vacuum packs of ground turkey at Costco. I have been cooking them from time to time this summer.
Being kind of mild, I have been adding chopped onions to the meat and they have been tasty. Today I expanded with fresh thyme.

For some time I have been thinking of a way to add a little juiciness to these in addition. Tonight I added minced fatback to the mix. I sliced the fat off the rind and minced it into very small cubes. The fatback adds salt and fat to the turkey as well as a really excellent flavor. I grilled them a little slower than usual so the fatback would melt.

I followed the basic ratio for sausage 3 parts turkey to 1 part fat. So for a pound of turkey, blend in 5 oz of chopped fatback. If this is too moist for your taste, of course it can be reduced to your preference.

Yummy AND Moist.

Bon Appetitt
Chris
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:20 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That sounds really good, but for those of us who live in places where fatback isn't readily available would trimmed bacon fat be a good substitute?

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:05 pm
BchrisL User avatar
rare
rare

ScreamingChicken wrote:
That sounds really good, but for those of us who live in places where fatback isn't readily available would trimmed bacon fat be a good substitute?

Yes indeed the bacon fat would be a good substitute, but I would just mince the bacon into tiny pieces and mix it in, don' t bother to separate the bacon.
Come to think of it , that is a great idea! I think I will try next time.

Ps I bought the fat back to lard a brisket some time ago, and for some reason I didn't use it, so I had it and wanted to use it up. Well there are fresh green beans from the garden so I know what will go into those.
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

Return to General Discussion