Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Labor Day pulled pork

Labor Day pulled pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:27 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Mrs. SC had requested pulled pork for Labor Day so Saturday I bought a 3-7/8 lb. butt at the store and Sunday I prepped it with a mustard slather and some rub.
Image Image Image

Monday morning I woke up around 3:45 and after thinking about it for a few minutes I decided that I might as well get up and get started. I used a big piece of apple for smoke and had the butt in the WSM by 5:15.
Image Image Image

I had some Yukon Gold potatoes laying around so I drizzled them with a little oil and put them in the drip pan about 5-1/2 hours in.

After about 8:20 the pork finally read between 195 and 200 so I removed it from the smoker, but put the potatoes back on to keep warm as the temperature wound down. I had hoped that the pork would give off a lot of fat to flavor the potatoes but that wasn't the case.
Image Image

I foiled the butt and let it rest for 2 hours in a cooler before tackling it. It had fallen apart when I first put it in the foil so it was definitely done and it pulled quite easily.
Image Image

The potatoes were thoroughly cooked and while they didn't pick up any noticeable flavor from the drip pan they still tasted a little smoky and we ate them in slices.

We ate a couple of sandwiches for dinner and have plenty left over for lunches and quick weeknight suppers. I'm envisioning something with tortillas and cheese tomorrow...

Because of the drought a lot of farmers in the Midwest are simply cutting and chopping corn for silage without bothering to try to harvest the ears. I've lived here for 22 years and can't recall my neighbor ever taking down the field this early. :(

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:14 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking pulled pork Brad!!
The potatoes sound good too. I think if you had cut them in a half or quarters they would’ve picked up a lot of flavor from the pork drippings. However they may become soggy if left in the pan too long.
I’m surprised that you’re able to upload pix onto photo bucket. The green tab that allows me to select photos has not been working for me :(

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:32 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Great looking pulled pork! I'm surprised the potatoes didn't get a good dose of fat drippings from the pork.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:54 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Pulled pork sandwiches and 'taters-- Now you're talkin'! That would be perfect for tonights Giants-Cowboys game. I also have a hankering for pulled pork soft tacos!
Got beer???

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:39 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BBcue-Z wrote:
I’m surprised that you’re able to upload pix onto photo bucket. The green tab that allows me to select photos has not been working for me :(
I'm not sure what you mean by the green tab. I just paste the Photobucket links directly into my posts, although I did notice that PB seemed to be down for a bit yesterday morning.

I was kind of surprised at the lack of drippings from the pork, but when I pulled it it did seem a little leaner than ones I've smoked in the past.

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:44 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Looks very nice Brad! BTW, I can talk to you during football season (Bears) but not during baseball season :)

Return to General Discussion