Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Some Simple Fajitas

Some Simple Fajitas

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:27 am
Griffin well done
well done

We had originally bought some fajitas Sunday to cook up Monday night, but life got in the way again as we had a bunch of things to take care of and my stomach wasn't really feeling all that well. Didn't think fajitas were going to help it, so we put it off till last night. Yeah.....I said we bought fajitas. Once you get south of Dallas, there's a grocery chain called HEB that pretty much rules Texas. They have some really good prices and their pre-marinated fajitas are pretty darn good. I know of plenty Mexican families from back when I lived in Corpus who quit making their own fajitas when HEB came out with these years and years ago. Well Sunday, we were in Central Market (a gourmet grocery store in the DFW area owned by HEB) as Mrs. G was looking for some Hatch chilis and we picked up some of their pre-marinated fajita chicken thighs. The plan was to throw them on the Egg direct at 450 with some mesquite chips (nothing says South Texas like Mesquite), but I realized we were out, so I used some Hickory instead.

Gave 'em a few minutes and flipped

Served 'em up on some Hatch chile tortillas along with onions, red bell peppers,some Monterrey Jack cheese and a dab of sour cream.

Simple, easy and quick weeknight meal. For some reason I can't for the life of me get a good plated up pic of fajitas or tacos. Not sure what my deal is. I realized this one needed a bit of green to it (and I asked Mrs. G to chop up some cilantro while I was grilling, but that didn't happen. :roll: ). Oh well, still tasted good and that 's all that matters.

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 am
sroach well done
well done

Nice looking Fajita's! I like that you left on all the fat on the chicken, try and tell my wife that's where all the flavor during cooking comes from.

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:02 am
Griffin well done
well done

I didn't realize how much fat was on there till I looked at the pictures this morning. Last night, I cut open the bag by the grill and just tossed them on, not paying much attention. Oh well, most of it rendered off and kept is juicy anyway. More flavor. :wink:

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:36 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Perfect weeknight meal, Griffin! I agree with Sroach about the thighs; looks like they'd provide great drippings!

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:22 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Very nice looking dinner!!
I wouldn’t have trimmed the chicken either. Fat would melt away and give great flavor, and that’s why I prefer thighs over chicken breasts.

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:36 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Wonderful looking fajitas! Don't know what you're talking about with the quality of your plated pix. Looks outstanding to me.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:01 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I'm with Dyal on this one! And not for looks but for taste would I love the cilantro on there. :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:01 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
I asked Mrs. G to chop up some cilantro while I was grilling, but that didn't happen. :roll: )

LOL :lol:

Well, I think the food and the pics look wonderful. Nice job.

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

I somehow missed this earlier in the week, but caught it again today when it floated back to the top. Nice job on everything! That includes the plated picture which doesn't offend me either.

I'm just surprised you didn't get massive flareups cooking those things at 450 direct without something to catch the drippings. I would've thought the cook would've resembled a scene from The Towering Inferno. :shock:

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:49 am
Griffin well done
well done

Nope, no flare ups at all. Just another benefit of the Egg. Although with the lid open to flip, it does start to flare, close it and it goes out.

Return to General Discussion