Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Most Eggcellent Pizza

Most Eggcellent Pizza

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:12 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

To finish out Labor Day weekend I made pizza. It was an Italian Meatlovers pizza with various Italian meats and cheeses.

The Egg has been heated up to 650 degrees with the pizza stone in. After pre-heating the stone for 30 minutes I will put the pizza on. Meanwhile there is some assembly required in Kitchen. The pizza dough is rolled out.

Next step is some Paul Newman’s tomato basil sauce

Followed by imported Italian Salami...

...and imported Italian Sopresatta...

...and the first layer of a 6 cheese Italian cheese blend...

...and imported ham..,

...and pepperoni (forgot to take picture) and a second layer of cheese.

The pizza stone has been preheated for 30 minutes at 650 degrees and the pizza is now on the grill.

Five and a half minutes later and the pizza is done. I went 30 seconds more than I originally planned to make sure all of the many ingredients were cooked. Turns out the 5 minutes would have been fine.

The pizza is ready to eat. It was so hot I burned my fingers very badly cutting it when my fingers touched some hot cheese.

The pizza was very flavorful, very hot (I burned my mouth too), and had a nice crispy crust.

Here is the obligatory picture of the bottom side of the crust.

I always liked pizza on the grill. I LOVE pizza on the Egg and I am finding I must have regular doses of it now.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

What's impressive is you have a super good pizza peel to slide that dough off the peel and onto the stone....I like many others have to use the parchment paper....

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:22 am
sroach well done
well done

YES...YES..!!!

Lot's o' meat on a pizza... nothing better..

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Fabulous-looking pizza, Jim...especially the crust! I can hear the crunch just by looking at it!

I don't why but I've never been able to warm to the idea of having salami on a pizza. And that's weird because pepperoni is one of my favorite toppings.

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 am
Griffin well done
well done

Most eggcellent indeed!! You have been one busy man. Did you use cornmeal under the dough to help it slide. Looks a bit like something under the crust.

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

EddieK1376 wrote:
What's impressive is you have a super good pizza peel to slide that dough off the peel and onto the stone....I like many others have to use the parchment paper....
I actually have two pizza peels. One for the pizza on the grill and one for the pizza everyone's working on while I grill next one. I just serve off the pizza peels. I had to get a good pizza peel to slide the pizzas onto my gas grill because the grill grates are 1 1/2 inches below level the front of the grill. A peel was the way to go. As for you Eddie: I do hope you're just using the parchment paper to get the pizza on the grill. I can't imagine what, if anything, would be left of the parchment paper after sitting on a pizza stone at 600 degrees for five minutes.

Griffin wrote:
... You have been one busy man. Did you use cornmeal under the dough to help it slide. Looks a bit like something under the crust.
Yes that's yellow cornmeal. As for busy part you don't know the half of it. We have been having work done on the inside of our house for the last 2 weeks. I have been grilling lunch for the workers everyday plus making supper most nights for my wife and I. Most of it has been things I've posted already or something simple like burgers, steaks or dogs. Two of the three guys are now very interested in getting an Egg for their own use. I've used the lunches for learning live fire control and getting more direct grilling w/charcoal hands on time. It is helping to improve my skills in a short amount of time. I also like the kind of lesson where you can eat what you learn. Another good benefit, although not the reason I did it, is the guys can't seem to do enough for me and are doing a great job on our house.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Thanks for all of the kind comments.

EddieK1376 wrote:
I actually have two pizza peels. One for the pizza on the grill and one for the pizza everyone's working on while I grill next one. I just serve off the pizza peels. I had to get a good pizza peel to slide the pizzas onto my gas grill because the grill grates are 1 1/2 inches below level the front of the grill. A peel was the way to go. As for you Eddie: I do hope you're just using the parchment paper to get the pizza on the grill. I can't imagine what, if anything, would be left of the parchment paper after sitting on a pizza stone at 600 degrees for five minutes.

Jim

I use parchment paper until it crisps up and I can slide the dough off the parchment paper. Doesn't take more than 2 minutes for that to happen. I must say my pizzas take about 8-10 minutes before they are done but I cook mine around 550-600....

Do you make your own dough?

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:50 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Dang it, Jim.....I had leftovers tonight, and now I'm opening up a 3rd post from you. :x And it looks as outstanding as the other ones.... I am hungry all over again...and missing my Egg after one night of unuse. :lol: Sad, but true...
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Really Jim, that pizza looks masterpiece! Irresistable!
Got beer???

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:02 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks Dyal and beercuer.

Eddie:
Ninety nine times out of 100 when you see irregularly shaped pizza coming for me it's my own dough. I can't roll out a round pizza crust to save my life.

This particular day I was trying a ball of supermarket dough to to see if it was any good. I've got to say I like my own doughs better, but this wasn't bad at all. Actually I shouldn't call them my own doughs, I should say dough recipes that I make myself. I have several grilled pizza books that provided the recipes, including one that you can make and be ready to use in a half hour.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Return to General Discussion