Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled N.Y. Strips & Fingerling Potatoes

Grilled N.Y. Strips & Fingerling Potatoes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

Here are two different recipes I made for supper: The first was Grilled Fingerling Potatoes from Williams-Sonoma On The Grill and N.Y. Strip Steaks with Horseradish Sauce from Weber’s Charcoal Grilling. I’m finally feeling comfortable enough with my new Egg that I am making something that doesn’t just come from The BGE Cookbook.

The new potatoes are parboiled for 10 minutes.

The parboiled new potatoes are strained and then put back in a bowl and tossed with some white wine as they cool.

The dressing for the potatoes uses white wine, mayo, whole grain mustard, parsley, tarragon, kosher salt & black pepper.

The dressing is ready to mix.

The dressing is allowed to stand for 10 minutes, and is checked for seasoning.

The horseradish sauce for the steak used: sour cream, Dijon mustard, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, kosher salt & black pepper.

The horseradish sauce is mixed.

The steak sets out for 30 minutes before cooking. First it is sprayed with olive oil.

Then it is slathered with Dijon mustard and gets seasoned with salt & black pepper.

The cooled potatoes were tossed in the dressing and are placed inside a semi-circular BGE grill basket with a removable handle.

The potatoes get direct grilled at 400 degrees for 5 minutes a side.

The potatoes are ready to come off the grill and go into my unheated oven to hold while the steak was cooking.

The mustard slathered steak is on the grill which has been cranked to 550 degrees and I had tossed an oak chunk on when I took the potatoes off.

The steak cooked for 4 minutes per side turning once to get a medium rare which I checked with an instant read thermometer.

Time to eat-some grilled steak & potaotes

The steak had rested for 5 minutes & as you can see the cast iron grill grate gave some great grill marks.

The grilled fingerling potatoes were very tasty and were soft inside with a somewhat crispy skin.

Here is the horseradish sauce for the steak which had wonderful flavor without competing with or detracting from the flavor of the beef steak.

mmmmm yummy!

The steak was a perfect medium rare. I couldn’t taste the Dijon mustard slather but I think it helped accentuate the beef flavor of the steak which was very prominent. The steak was tender & juicy.

This was a great meal all around especially considering it is something I threw together at the last minute. I didn't want to let this weekend pass without getting in some grilling time.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

jstewart well done
well done

That is an absolutely wonderful looking steak :D :D New York strips have become one of our favorites around here and it looks like you really nailed that one!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

EddieK1376 well done
well done

That looks great both the steak and the potatoes....I need one of those fish thingies for potoatos now :)

jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks Jimmy and Eddie!

Eddie:
That basket is actually a grill basket, not a fish basket. My dealer gave it to me because I've been waiting a month now to get the shelves for my egg. But it actually is intended for potatoes and things like I did on it. The picture on the package shows new potatoes being grilled in it. The reason for the shape is it takes up half of the Egg's availabe grilling area and you can be doing something else on the other half at the same time. Actually I didn't realize until I got it that my other baskets wouldn't fit on the Egg because they have fixed handles and are large & rectangular in shape. They actually sell something called a flexi basket which is similar in shape but has a more flexible wire mesh to hold unevenly shaped items (like like fish). The only downside to the flexi basket is they are a bear to clean if something gets stuck on them. I have to rectangular ones and trying to clean the flexible wires is a PITA.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

sroach well done
well done

Thats a great looking meal, and love that basket.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have to agree with everybody else...great job! I'll have to look up the recipe for the horseradish sauce.

Is that a glass of pink lemonade? When I first saw the photo my initial thought was that it was a glass of tomato juice, which used to be almost mandatory with a steak dinner back in the day.

Brad

Griffin well done
well done

Insanely killer looking meal. I'm gonna have to try them taters. We had some strip steaks Friday....on my brother's gas grill. And I had to grill them. :(

jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks for everyone's comments

Griffin wrote:
... We had some strip steaks Friday....on my brother's gas grill. And I had to grill them. :(
Funny, a month ago I wouldn't have understood what you were talking about. But now I understand completely. My sympathies.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Dyal_SC well done
well done

:shock: WOW!!! What a great looking meal! I love the ingredients you used.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

BBcue-Z well done
well done

Awesome looking meal Jim!!
Agree with Dyal on the ingredients. I love grilled potatoes and those grill marks are awesome!!

jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks everyone for their comments. The cast-iron grill grate was worth the extra expense and does contribute to the great grill marks. I think the other part of it is letting the steak rest at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. You seem to get better grill marks when the meat is not coming straight out of the fridge. Dry helps too, but in this case I can't "blame" that because the steaks were brushed with olive oil before grilling. I'm sure 550 degrees doesn't hurt either.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I had great eggspectations of you, Jim, and you did not let me down... Gorgeous! :D
Got beer???

jfm0830 well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
I had great eggspectations of you, Jim, and you did not let me down... Gorgeous! :D
I do feel like Pip in that this grate thing has entered my life, and the future looks promising indeed. :wink:

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Return to General Discussion