Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Labor Day Party Cook (Sunday)

Labor Day Party Cook (Sunday)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:22 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

So I was put in charge of our Labor Day party and I chose to cook a brisket with some MOINK balls, ABT's, Beans and for dessert the Pecan Pie. Pictures will be updated throughout the next 2 days.

I used Red Eye Express from Dizzy Pig

Untitled by EKomrska, on Flickr

Both briskets rubbed down by my trusty sous chef

They are now in the fridge and will be put on later tonight around midnight or so....

BTW, one Brisket was 8.5 lbs and the other about 7.5 lbs.

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:05 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Eddie,

Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like you have some pretty good help there! Looking forward to seeing the progress and results.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:30 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Can't wait to see the results! Gracious, that hunk of beef is almost as big as your cute little Princess! :wink: :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:41 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Can't wait to see the results! Gracious, that hunk of beef is almost as big as your cute little Princess! :wink: :)

Haha! Yeah it's an 8.5 lb flat.....

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:02 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Are you cooking just flats or did you buy 2 packers? Sounds like you're going to be feeding a crowd.

But I'm worried you might have to check into Pie Rehab... :wink:

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:20 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Alright....Overall the food was a huge success I missed some pictures but I tried to get as much as I could while entertaining guests....

A little curveball I was dealt first thing after sleeping off and on throughout the night was I go outside at 630 after having the 2 briskets on for about 7 hours and one was ALREADY done....Moment of panic but when I felt the brisket it was so tender and I pulled it, wrapped it in foil and toweled up in the cooler...The other one was 174...That's the great thing about brisket and BBQ in general they have a mind of their own...

That is a picture of them being put on last night at 1145

Here are the MOINK balls that were rubbed down with Dizzy Pig All Purpose

Cooked the MOINK balls at 325 and glazed them with the Palmetto Juice that I absolutely LOVE. I found another victim at the party to the affinity I have towards that and she said "when I get home I'm buying this for my husband"

I got rave reviews on the MOINK balls

My daughter who is in charge of her guacamole takes great pride in it and for a polish bohemian girl I think she does quite well...Let alone being 7

Of course....I will find any reason plausible to make the Pecan Pie

The great thing about the Egg is I never refilled my fuel from my brisket cook to the baked beans that I made on there....And I ranged in temps from 250 to 400 and never had to refill once....I love this thing and I can't wait to cook on it tomorrow....

Oh BTW, so my other brisket finished around 10 and I put it in the cooler and around 2 o'clock I preheated the oven to 170 and put both in there. Took their temps the one that had been in there since 645 was at a temp of 157 (only dropped 43 degrees) and the other was way above that still. So I heated the other one up to 165...Sliced it up and it was like BUTTER....So good....It was a brisket flat from Sam's Club and I was so pleased!

I am exhausted from non-stop cooking but I had a great time and even got to play some catch with my boys and hit them some ground balls during down time!

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:38 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Wow everything looks fabulous Eddie, nicely done!! You have a positive attitude about BBQ, but I must admit the "It's done when it's done aspect has caused a few grey hairs for me. BTW did you use the bigger meatballs for the moink balls this time around?

Glad it all turned out great and bon appetit!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:47 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Wow everything looks fabulous Eddie, nicely done!! You have a positive attitude about BBQ, but I must admit the "It's done when it's done aspect has caused a few grey hairs for me. BTW did you use the bigger meatballs for the moink balls this time around?

Glad it all turned out great and bon appetit!

Jim

Yes, these meatballs I got from Sams were much bigger and really made it even better.....The whole thing was delicious! Man I just love this Egg more and more everyday and I've had mine for a year!

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:06 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:
.....The whole thing was delicious! Man I just love this Egg more and more everyday and I've had mine for a year!
I know eggxactly what you mean! I've had my egg for just a month now, but I have already turned out some of the best meals I've ever made or eaten. The possibilities for the future seem unlimited. This is definitely the most fun I've ever had with this hobby. Sadly to folks that don't know what we're talking about, we probably seem like raving lunatics. But you know what? I can live with that.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
EddieK1376 wrote:
.....The whole thing was delicious! Man I just love this Egg more and more everyday and I've had mine for a year!
I know eggxactly what you mean! I've had my egg for just a month now, but I have already turned out some of the best meals I've ever made or eaten. The possibilities for the future seem unlimited. This is definitely the most fun I've ever had with this hobby. Sadly to folks that don't know what we're talking about, we probably seem like raving lunatics. But you know what? I can live with that.

Jim

Right, a lot of peoople think us Eggheads are crazy. I laughed when you mentioned in one of your blogs about Apple products cause I'm an Apple person too and people think that my talk of Apple products are crazy too :)

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Glad to hear it all went well, Ed! Now that you're in the Chicago area you're a lot closer than when you were in Noblesville, so I expect to start getting regular invitations. :lol:

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:11 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks like a fantastic meal all around. Way to go, Eddie.

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:42 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Great job, Eddie! Everything looks eggceptionally eggstrodinary! Glad to hear you're enjoying the Palmetto Juice as much as me. :) It goes great on shrimp too.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Awesome feast Eddie!!
Way to go indeed :)

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:14 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Glad to hear it all went well, Ed! Now that you're in the Chicago area you're a lot closer than when you were in Noblesville, so I expect to start getting regular invitations. :lol:

Haha! Anytime man...Although I assume you are a Packers fan and a Brewers fan so we just won't be able to talk. :)

Griffin wrote:
Looks like a fantastic meal all around. Way to go, Eddie.

Thanks Griff!

Dyal_SC wrote:
Great job, Eddie! Everything looks eggceptionally eggstrodinary! Glad to hear you're enjoying the Palmetto Juice as much as me. :) It goes great on shrimp too.

I'll have to try it on shrimp then too! Whole Foods had a nice sale on some Shrimp so my wife stocked up.....

BBcue-Z wrote:
Awesome feast Eddie!!
Way to go indeed :)

Thanks BBcue!

Next

Return to General Discussion