Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Question about smoking a Brisket

Question about smoking a Brisket

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:07 pm
marqusx rare
rare

Hi to all, this weekend I will be attempting to smoke my first brisket for a BBQ that I am having on Sunday. Its and 18 pound packer and I figure it would take me about 20-24 hours to smoke. My question is my BBQ isn't until Sunday and I may need to store it for a while before I cut it to serve. What is the best way to store it so I don't run the risk of it drying out on me. Thanks to all in advance.

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:14 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you wrap it in foil and towels and place it in a cooler, a piece of meat that size will stay hot for a few hours. Or do you anticipate it finishing far enough in advance to need refrigeration?

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:34 pm
marqusx rare
rare

I think it will be done well in advance. I plan on putting it on tonight around midnight or so and expect it to be done around midnight tomorrow. That will be about 15-20 hours before I will need to serve it.

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:49 pm
marqusx rare
rare

I guess the real question I need to ask is, if I refrigerate the brisket will it drying out?

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:07 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

While I've made some great briskets, sadly none of them have been where I've had to refrigerate them and reheat them later. For me briskets have been the hardest thing to cook and the hardest thing to reheat. While ribs and pork shoulder reheat well being stored in food saver bags and reheated in the bags in 170 degree water, brisket still loses a lot when reheated that way. But that is just me, there are a lot of great cooks on the site and perhaps someone has a good suggestion for you. Also try to hold your temperature steady in your cooker I found brisket is the least tolerant meat when it comes to temperature changes.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I guess the question I'm going to ask is....Why are you cooking it a day in advance? I'd cook it starting tomorrow afternoon and at the very worst if it finishes early you can wrap it foil and towels and put in the cooler. I'm having a party on Sunday and I'm doing that exact thing.

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:06 pm
marqusx rare
rare

Eddie, the brisket is my largest piece of meat im smoking. Im also smoking 2 butts, one 7 and the other 11 pounds. Im also smoking baby backs. So I guess I want to make sure I get the brisket done.

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:06 am
jstewart well done
well done

Are you limited by space for cooking? If not, I would wait and put the brisket at about 8:00 or so tomorrow. An 18 lb brisket is HUGE and I would plan on 1/5 hours or more per lb to cook. With that said, if it cooks quicker, double wrap in foil, wrap with a towel, and put in an ice chest. It will rest comfortably for 4-5 hours and still be ready for slicing/eating. If you feel compelled to start tonight and it finishes way early, then reheat in an oven at about 225 or so and make sure it stays in the foil, that way it will be nice and moist. Just so you know, we want pictorial evidence of how this feast turns out!!!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:01 pm
jstewart well done
well done

What did you end up doing?
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Return to General Discussion