Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chargriller lump

Chargriller lump

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:51 pm

Has anyone used this? First time I've seen it. Picked up a bag at meijer today. $8.99 for a 10lb bag.
CG Wrangler w/SFB

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:56 pm

Checked nakedwhiz, no info there either.
CG Wrangler w/SFB

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:13 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

It is probably too new to make Naked Wiz website. Chances are it's someone else's lump rebranded. A lot of Cowboy lump is rebranded that way. Look very carefully on the bag and it may say who it is package by. Then you could at least look on the Naked Wiz site and see how that companies own brand of lump rates.

Jim

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:50 pm
DMKiefer raw
raw

I bought a bag and used it twice so far. It comes with very big chunks that I like. It also sparks a lot but not a problem for me. I didn't realize it was a 10lbs bag. That helps me justify paying a little more considering I can get Royal Oak at Walmart for $6.00 something. Oh and it smells wonderful just like a campfire.
Chargriller Duo w/Side Firebox

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:20 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

DMKiefer wrote:
I bought a bag and used it twice so far. It comes with very big chunks that I like. It also sparks a lot but not a problem for me. I didn't realize it was a 10lbs bag. That helps me justify paying a little more considering I can get Royal Oak at Walmart for $6.00 something. Oh and it smells wonderful just like a campfire.

I've had Cowboy numerous times, and I definitely don't want to start a "charcoal holy war"... :lol: ...but I've personally had bad experiences with it. It sparks like a son'uv'a'gun.... and it has a strong "wood" odor. If it smells too "woody", that means it hasn't been completely carbonized. I've noticed this same deal in a few different brands. Every once in awhile, my go-to Royal Oak will have a chunk or two that isn't completely black... I usually toss those....but it's rare that I find them in Royal Oak. If you're getting a campfire smell, that may mean that it isn't completely carbonized. If it's just charcoal that I'm using, I don't like to see any smoke at all being given off by the time I'm ready to cook....that tells me that all the VOC's have burned off, and you're ready for your meat to hit the grill. All that being said, there's nothing wrong with getting a "campfire" aroma, but I'd be careful to look at the lump.....sometimes you will find scraps of "foreign" stuff (even treated lumber... :shock: ) in some brands of charcoal. If it appears to be hardwood, you should be fine.......but if you notice a piece or two that look like plywood, I'd toss it out. I personally toss out any pieces (hardwood or otherwise) that aren't carbonized, because sometimes I'm not looking for a smoke aroma.....I like to be in charge of the type of smoke that's flavoring the meat. But like I said, that's a personal preference. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Only name anywhere on the bag is chargriller
CG Wrangler w/SFB

Return to General Discussion