Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion MOINK Balls

MOINK Balls

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:43 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Yesterday we had a huge block party and since we were new to the area I figured we'd do that and we had a great time. Lots of alcohol and I decided to make MOINK balls for the first time since they always look so good.

It's rather simple to do and the end results are FABULOUS. Bacon, frozen meatballs, your favorite BBQ rub and BBQ sauce.

I first defrosted the meatballs, sliced the strips of bacon in half and rolled up and then secured with a tooth pick. After that was all done I dusted them with Dizzy Pig All Purpose Rub.

Untitled by EKomrska, on Flickr

I got my Egg to around 300 and put in some maple chips cause the bacon was Maple smoked to begin with...

Once the bacon crisped up I then sauced them with the best sauce ever...Palmetto Juice. Suprisingly though on the MOINK balls once it was glazed it lost it's spiciness.

Here is a plated pic...

Put them down and they were gone in 5 minutes. Luckily I was able to taste one and they were so good! Next time I would look bigger meatballs but this is definitely on a Sunday NFL snack rotation from now on!

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:37 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Those look wonderful Eddie! I'll bet you made the new neighbors much more popular with that offering.

A couple questions if I may. When you say frozen meatballs, were they homemade meatballs you froze or are they the smaller sized frozen meatballs they sell in bags at the StupidMarket? Did you use the Platsetter to get the grate up at lid level? Was that to avoid flareups from direct grilling or was the 300 degree temperature enough to prevent flareups? TIA.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:51 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Yeah they were bought from the grocery store. Too small in my opinion but I'll look at Sams Club for some bigger ones. Yep I used platesetter for the indirect cooking and just put a thing of tinfoil on the platesetter so the bacon drippings didn't building up on it.

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:13 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Yeah I was trying to gauge the size of the meatballs. They did look a bit on the small side. The reason I was asking about bacon is I've always had trouble with massive flareups on the grill when I tried to grill bacon. Even at a low temperature. And I really couldn't see the legs of the plate setter. So I was trying to decide if it was 300° and you were perhaps using a second fire ring to get the grate up higher, or if it was the platesetter and indirect that was used. I still say great first attempt! The fact they all disappeared bodes well for the future.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:04 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks fantastilicious, Edward! :) Glad you are putting the sauce to good use! I like store bought meatballs. I can never get homemade meatballs to come out moist...plus, I like the fact that they are uniform and bitesized.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:15 am
sroach well done
well done

Looks awesome..

Next time, hide a handful so the cook gets some... :lol:

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good eats, Ed, but what happened to your CI grate? It looks like a bar is missing.

Brad

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:33 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Good eats, Ed, but what happened to your CI grate? It looks like a bar is missing.

Brad

You know I am not even sure.....I noticed that too when something fell through it awhile back and was trying ot figure that out myself.

Return to General Discussion