Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked Chili & Skillet Cornbread

Smoked Chili & Skillet Cornbread

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:25 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Sometime late last year Dyal posted pictures of EggFest Chili. As you may have guessed it made an impression on me. I remember thinking what a great looking and interesting chili it was. I also thought if I ever get a BGE, I’ll get the Big Green Egg Cookbook and make some of that chili. While I wasn’t serious about getting a BGE or the cookbook at that point in time, I was serious about making the chili. Now I know the folks from Texas will look down their noses at this and call it glorified bean soup. I like to keep an open mind on the subject and I like both types. The way I look at it this just means there is more for me to eat. The chili was served with Skillet Cornbread w/ Fresh Roasted Corn also from the BGE Cookbook.

My gas grill got in some light duty today grilling up 2 ears of corn. The other ingredients were: All-purpose flour, baking powder, kosher salt, melted butter, yellow corn meal, eggs, sugar & heavy cream.

The flour, baking powder and salt were sifted together in one bowl.

The cornmeal, sugar and eggs were mixed in another bowl.

The flour blend bowl was emptied into the egg mixture bowl & they were combined.

The last step is to add the melted butter, heavy cream & grilled corn kernels to the mix.

The batter was poured into a skillet. The skillet went onto the Egg which was set up with the Platesetter. The cornbread was baked for 35 minutes at 425.

This “simple” chili used 80 percent lean ground beef, kidney beans, cannellini beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, diced garlic, celery & onions, cumin, cinnamon powder, BGE basic BBQ rub, chili powder, dried oregano, cocoa powder, kosher salt, beef stock, balsamic vinegar, chipotle chili in adobo sauce & diced bacon.

A full sheet pan sitting on a Black & Decker WorkMate makes a great portable outdoor work surface. This chili had so many goes intas that I had another half sheet pan full of ingredients sitting ontop of my gas grill too.

Initially the Egg was set up for grilling at 400 degrees. The BGE Dutch oven was preheated for 10 minutes and the first step is to cook up some bacon. What is odd is they have you remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, but then you do no more with the bacon. I thought I missed something, but no you keep the fat and lose the bacon. I’ll have no problem finding something to use these bacon bits on.

The celery, garlic & onions are next and are sauteed in the bacon fat.

The Basic BBQ rub, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, oregano and cocoa powderare added next. The cocoa powder was a nice touch and you could taste it in the finished chili.

The powdered spices are mixed together and the next step will be to add 2 pounds of 80 percent lean ground beef.

The ground beef has been browned.

The 3 types of beans, beef stock, vinegar and diced tomatoes are added next.

After all of the ingredients went in and were mixed, the two chipotle chilis went in last. The Dutch oven and grill grate were removed. Some soaked pecan chips went onto the coals and then the Platesetter was installed legs down and the Dutch oven is placed on it.The heat is reduced to 300 degrees. In this picture the chili has cooked for two hours and the two chipotle chilies were removed.

The chili has cooked down for another 30 minutes.

The chili went straight from grill to table (with a substantial trivet underneath). It joins the skillet cornbread and some shredded cheddar cheese and diced scallions. This chili had all sorts of wonderful flavors and the dining room smelled of wood smoke. My wife “hated” it so much she had four bowls of it. She finished her second bowl before my first was done. My wife & I are not sour cream lovers so we didn’t put any of that out.

The cornbread was excellent too. It was moist and buttery and not at all dry.

Smoked chili & homemade cornbread:-It doesn’t get better than this.

It just needs some toppings & the wait is over.

Here is the chili topped with scallions and shredded cheddar cheese.

Chili is something I don’t need to wait for winter to eat. It is excellent year round. This chili is really worth making anytime.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:41 am
Griffin well done
well done

If a BGE could wear out, you would probably be in danger of wearing it out as much as you are putting it through its paces. Nicely done on that bean soup with ground beef. Looks tasty, whatever it is. :wink: I'd take a bowl or 3 with some cornbread.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:42 am
sroach well done
well done

MMMMMmmmmm.. I can see me sitting on the couch eating a bowl of that with TWO hunks of that corn bread watching some football right now...

Nicely done!

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:06 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks for making chili the correct way, Jim...with beans. :twisted: :wink: :lol:

Seriously, it and the cornbread both look really good!

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys!
ScreamingChicken wrote:
Thanks for making chili the correct way, Jim...with beans. :twisted: :wink: :lol:

Seriously, it and the cornbread both look really good!
Well I live near Beantown, how could I not like it with beans? But I like it both ways and will gladly take a bowl of either type if it is offered to me. I plan on doing some Texas style chili in the near future too.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:01 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Jim nice job. That chili looks awesome! I too can have chili either the Texas way or the way with beans and I love chili! I can't wait to try that on a Sunday for some football. That'll be around October since my kid plays soccer and fall baseball. But I am definitely looking forward to it!

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:45 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I'm a fan of the Texas style chili, but I'd gladly have several bowls of what you whipped up. Nice job on the chili and the cornbread.

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:37 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Perhaps we could arrange a trade smokin' gal. Chili for some of that wonderful bread pudding with the citrus toppings you just made. :D

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Excellent looking chili and corn bread.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:39 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I almost forgot about that recipe! I'm with Eddie....I can't wait to be watching some football and eating chili and cornbread to go with. :) Time for some more chili! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:46 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks again guys! For me chili has been something I enjoy year round. In the summer when camping and in the winter while watching a football game. If you are looking for an excuse, I'll remind you that pre-season football has started. Me, I am in search of one of the Texas chili recipes I've squirreled away somewhere.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:49 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking meal Jim!!
Comfort food at it’s best and it’s made on the grill :)

Return to General Discussion