Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Not BBQ but Wow

Not BBQ but Wow

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:09 pm
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

Was on business travel in Pittsburgh and had to stop by Primanti Bros. You may have seen them on shows on the Food Network or Man v. Food. They make these huge sandwiches where they put the cole slaw and the fries right on the sandwich. Although hard to see the meat, this is Capicola and Provolone. So good and I highly recommend.

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'll bet someone here could come up with a grill-oriented version! :wink:

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:04 am
toyman medium
medium

Back in the day (early '80's), Primanti Bros had one place and it was in the Strip District of Pittsburgh. It didn't open until 12 am, and I was lucky enough to frequent it a few times in high school. It was an experience in itself to get in line and place your order. (And a miracle that me and my buddies made it there and back home safely! :shock: ) They have a few places in the area now and their sandwiches are original and delicious. Capicola is one of my favorites also. No reason you couldn't the flat side of a CI griddle as a flattop to cook the capicola & cheese. A simple vinegar slaw, fresh cut fries and your in. Another Pgh staple would be the "O" in Oakland (Pitt campus). The "O" is the Original Hot Dog Company, but they are better known for their fresh cut fries. Few things rival hot "O" fries with some melted Cheese Whiz mixed in Heinz Ketchup. (Another Pgh specialty???)
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 am
sroach well done
well done

So funny.. I did the same thing.. was in Pittsburg for business but had to seek out one of these sandwichs.. Great Picture..

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Hope you enjoyed your time on the Pgh Buckeye Bob.
I get the sandwhich minus the coleslaw. They always get on me a little but hey I don't like cole slaw. Kind of kills the uniqueness of the sandwhich.
Toyman are you familiar with J&S pizza in Natrona Hieghts? My favorite pizza in the pgh area. Sorry to get off topic.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:05 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Hope you enjoyed your time on the Pgh Buckeye Bob.
I get the sandwhich minus the coleslaw. They always get on me a little but hey I don't like cole slaw. Kind of kills the uniqueness of the sandwhich.
Toyman are you familiar with J&S pizza in Natrona Hieghts? My favorite pizza in the pgh area. Sorry to get off topic.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:14 am
toyman medium
medium

Jsperk - not familiar with J&S, but grew up "across the bridge" in Burrell. Il Pizziaoli in Mt Lebanon is my favorite and Anthonys in Monroeville is good, but different.
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:09 pm

My first post... been reading for a while and taking notes...

I am so lucky as to live in da Burgh... Get a craving for these at least once a month... my 2 go to combos are

1) Roast beef and have to add Bacon
2) deep fried kielbasi

of course, you have to have it with slaw, fries, tomatoes and copious amounts of Red Devil sauce...

I have gotten my 4 and 6 year old boys hooked on these as well.. they like turkey cheese and FF on theres (no slaw or tomatoes)....

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, Yinzer!

If you get a moment please post a little about yourself here. Thanks!

Brad

Return to General Discussion