Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Frankfurt, Germany

Frankfurt, Germany

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:00 pm
Griffin well done
well done

We're taking a trip to Frankfurt this week (work related, Mrs. G will have to put in a few hours every day) and I've been doing some research, but then I figured, why not ask here? Has anybody been? Can you recommend places to eat and what foods we should try? Things to do? Apparently they are famous for their Apfelwein (like an apple cider), not so much for their local beer (although I'm sure there will be plenty of other German beers to drink). We'll be there for about a week and we're really looking forward to it. Would love to hear some recommendations if you got any.

And just in case you follow my blog regularly, don't think I've abandoned you. I've lined up 4 or 5 (still waiting on the fifth) of my favorite bloggers to do guest posts for me while we're gone. One of them being a fellow Egghead, Chris at Nibble Me This. Should be interesting to see what they are cooking up.

Anyway, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:51 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Take me with you! :lol: I NEED a vacation!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:19 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

I spent two weeks about two hours outside of Munich up in the Alps in 2009 and I say you definitely need to try some of the hefeweizens (wheat beers). They are generally unfiltered and so will be somewhat cloudy looking when you try and look through the glass, but don't let that scare you-they are excellent!! I started drinking wheat beers about 12 years ago, mostly in the summer because around here that is typically when they serve them. It is a lighter beer but after my trip to Germany I drink it year-round now. Trust me the German hefeweizens are to die for. And if you think they do things big in Texas, wait until you see the size of some of the beer glasses in some of the local pubs. You need to use two hands to lift them up and they probably should come with a diving board so you can just jump on in.

Have fun in Germany!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:29 am
Griffin well done
well done

Mmmmm.....love a good Hefe! Can't wait. Getting super excited about this trip.

Finally got the last of my stuff in from my guest bloggers last night.....4 out of 5 of them decided to grill or smoke something just to fit into my theme. :D Pulled pork from North Carolina, Smoked 'Loney, Marinated Grilled Flank Steak and a Breakfast Fatty. The other one did some Mexican food, just cuz that's her specialty and I kinda requested it from her. Some good looking food from some people who don't normally que....well, except for Christ at Nibble Me This who is an Egghead as well.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:26 am
jstewart well done
well done

Griffin,

I was stationed just north of Frankfurt for 4 years. I spent almost 2 years in Friedberg (about 40-50 km north) and the remainder of my time in Giessen (another 50 km further north). Apfelwein is kind of unique and is generally a summer time beverage (although available year round) best served cold. You don't realize how hard it hits you until the second or third one :shock: :shock: There are PLENTY of good beers to enjoy and I'll second the recommendation to try the Weizen beers. I'm partial to what is called "crystal weizen" or the lighter wheat beer. I don't remember any places in Frankfurt that were memorable enough to recommend for dining. There is a place near a little town called Butzbach which is probably 70-80 km north of Frankfurt (on the A5 Autobahn, so it doesn't take long to get there) called "Die Badeburg" which serves really good ribs. Here is a link: http://www.badenburg.de/ for it, however, it is in German. We had a discussion a number of years ago (alas, it was lost when the "chargrilled thread" was lost) on this forum about it and I seem to remember a link in English, however, I haven't been able to find it. If I do, I'll let you know. Enjoy all of the good food and beer!!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:38 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Drop Don Marco a line.
I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

Have a great trip!

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 pm
Griffin well done
well done

I tried getting ahold of him on one of the BBQ forums he's on, but never heard back from him. :(

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Did you PM him both there and here?
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Return to General Discussion