Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled pepperoni and sausage pizza

Grilled pepperoni and sausage pizza

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:23 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

As I don't eat pork, I've never had pepperoni and italian sausage pizza. I decided to put an end to that when I stumbled upon turkey pepperoni and chicken italian sausage some time ago. I even found a jar of San Marzano tomato sauce):

I whipped up some thin crust pizza dough:

Cooking the sausage:

Isernio's makes some wicked sausage.

Piling on the toppings:

The BGE got pretty darn hot--had flames coming out:

Oh yes..watch the goodness cook:

Lunch time:

The crust got a nice color and was crisp as a potato chip, with a tender, chewy interior:

This was sublime. Wasn't sure if I'd like the turkey pepperoni, but found it to be very tasty. It was perfectly seasoned and had a great texture. I plan on making more of these bad boys.

Good eats.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:36 pm
sroach well done
well done

Looks like it came from a pizza shop!

Got me hungry for some grilled pizza now.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:37 pm
sroach well done
well done

Just thought of a dumb BGE question. One you put the flame out, does it take a while for the BGE too cool down enough to put the cover on?

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:46 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

sroach wrote:
One you put the flame out, does it take a while for the BGE too cool down enough to put the cover on?

The pizza was cooked with the lid closed. It does take quite a while for the egg to cool down, but you don't need to leave the lid up for that to happen. You just need to shut the top and bottom vents.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:39 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Just thought of a dumb BGE question. One you put the flame out, does it take a while for the BGE too cool down enough to put the cover on?

An Egg doesn't need a cover like other ones cause of the ceramic. It is not going to rust on ya :) But yes it does take awhile for it to cool down cause the ceramic retains heat so well.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:10 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:
sroach wrote:

An Egg doesn't need a cover like other ones cause of the ceramic. It is not going to rust on ya :) But yes it does take awhile for it to cool down cause the ceramic retains heat so well.

Oops. I totally misread the question. Sroach, the exterior of the Egg stays relatively luke warm. You can put your hand on it and not experience much if any discomfort. If I was in the habit of remembering to cover it after I'm done, I don't think it would do any damage to the cover I own. However, I typically wait several hours before covering it, assuming I cover it at all.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:26 pm
TheRod medium
medium

Wow that looks tasty. Makes me wonder how much of an advantage it is from the calorie/health side to use chicken sausage and turkey 'roni.
22" Performer

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:01 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

BTW, that pizza looks super Smokin!

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:13 am
tbk420 well done
well done

Looks great, as always.

What is your setup, with the large stone? I used to use a 16 inch stone, but didn't think it allowed enough air flow (I have a L BGE). Basically, it hampered my temps from getting back to a hot enough level, and the toppings wouldn't cook at the same rate as the crust. Once I switched back to a smaller stone, I got better results.

My setup is basically grid on top of the Adjustable rig, ceramic "feet", then the small stone on top of the feet. I usually get better results if I wipe the stone with a damp cloth prior to putting the pizza on, and cook at around 550.

Just hoping to compare notes with the Master Chef. :wink:

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:19 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

It was a long time coming but I am really glad you were able to finally enjoy a pepperoni and sausage pizza! That is my second favorite pizzeria pizza, with pepperoni and ham being my favorite. I like the sweet & salty taste the ham adds. If you can ever find a non-pork "ham" give that one a try some time. Your pizza looks really great. If I had known how good pizza on the Egg was, I might have taken the plunge sooner.

What temperature were you cooking your pizza at? I use 600 degrees and haven't had flames... yet.

My brief experience with my Egg is if you leave it running long enough, the outside will eventually get almost as hot as the inside. When I make pizza I've been making 2-4 pies following a 30 minute warm up of my pizza stone at 650. The outside of my egg is way to hot to touch by the time the pizzas start going on.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:18 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

tbk420 wrote:
What is your setup, with the large stone?

I use a 16 inch stone directly on top of the plate setter, which I let heat up on the Egg gradually until it hits 300. At that point I open the vents full tilt until it maxes out on the temp gauge. I then lower it to 600, and place the pizza, which is on parchment paper, onto the stone. After a few minutes, I remove the parchment paper. I've not had an issue with the toppings cooking.

jfm0830 wrote:
What temperature were you cooking your pizza at? I use 600 degrees and haven't had flames... yet.

I had the temp down to 625 when I put the pizza on. However, the gauge was maxed out prior to me lowering the temp. I guess I haven't let the Egg stay at a high temp for a long enough time to get the outside hot.

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:16 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Outstanding once again! I still haven't made a dough with which I'm 100% satisfied. Is your thin crust recipe from a cookbook, or can you share it? It looks terrific!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:10 am
sroach well done
well done

Sorry to stay off topic, but do you guys not cover your BGE?

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:10 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

TheRod wrote:
Wow that looks tasty. Makes me wonder how much of an advantage it is from the calorie/health side to use chicken sausage and turkey 'roni.
Good point. I'm thinking there's probably less fat/grease to begin with.

Nice job, SG!!

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Sorry to stay off topic, but do you guys not cover your BGE?
I know I am the new kid here, but I cover mine. I'm not at all worried about the ceramic parts, but the rolling stand (the Nest) and the hinge bands around the top and bottom sections of the egg are simply painted metal. So that is why I cover my Egg. And to get back on topic let me mention that I don't put the cover on for a while after I cook something like multiple pizzas, because the outside eventually does get quite hot and takes a while to cool down.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Next

Return to General Discussion