Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoke Roasted Salmon (pix)

Smoke Roasted Salmon (pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:37 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Griffin's recent post had me craving salmon, and I already had a couple filets in the freezer...so that's what I pulled out for dinner tonight.

I lightly scored these filets to allow the rub to penetrate. The rub was simple: Smoked Paprika, Dry Mustard, Salt and Brown Sugar.

I set the grill up for a direct cook and threw in a handful of Maple Chips for smoke....grilled them up at around 375 deg f.

My wife was doing her "happy dance" while she was eating, so I know it was a homerun. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

WOW! :shock: That salmon looks delish, Dyal. The rich coloring of it about makes my heart skip a beat. Plus you get the benefits of a Superfood with all its low calorie and nutrition :D
Got beer???

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:10 am
hrchdog well done
well done

Looks awesome, how long did you grill them for?
Wes

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:37 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thank you for the kind words! I just had some leftover salmon with some eggs and grits for breakfast. Tasted good today too. :wink:

hrchdog wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say for about 15 or 20 minutes. I grilled them until the internal temp registered 150 deg f.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Happy dance is always a good sign. You done good.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:32 pm
sroach well done
well done

KAAAA-POW!

Nice looking Salmon!!!

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:46 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow, that really looks good! The rub added some great color!

A friend of mine occasionally fishes salmon in Lake Michigan. I need to ask him when his next trip will be. :wink:

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:29 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Wow that looks really good. I love the sound of that rub.

Dyal_SC wrote:
Thank you for the kind words! I just had some leftover salmon with some eggs and grits for breakfast. Tasted good today too. :wink:

hrchdog wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say for about 15 or 20 minutes. I grilled them until the internal temp registered 150 deg f.

Were you cooking that at a really low temperature, perhaps because of the sugar in the rub? 15-20 minutes seems like a long time.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:55 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks a lot, guys!

Brad, SCmustardman tells me that the Boundary Waters are gorgeous. He was telling me about an excursion he went on long ago when he was in his 20's.... :wink:...he used this company: http://www.canoecountry.com/ I would love to take a couple weeks off and camp, canoe, grill and fish the whole time. There is no air traffic or motorized boats in that area apparently, and there is a ton of wildlife you can spot while canoeing from lake to lake. It's definitely on my bucket list. :)

Jim, these were thick Salmon Steaks, and there was a good amount of brown sugar in the rub.....the proportions were 3 TBSP Smoked Paprika, 2 TBSP Brown Sugar, 2 tsp Salt and 2 tsp Dry Mustard. I didn't need a whole batch of this rub, so I made half. I wanted the Salmon to cook evenly without the outside burning from the sugar. So 375 deg f seemed like a good temp to use.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:46 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking Salmon Dyal!!
I was planning on smoking some salmon next weekend and these are definitely an inspiration :D

Return to General Discussion