Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion More Chicken and Veggies (pix)...

More Chicken and Veggies (pix)...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:42 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I cooked up a chicken the other day in a CI skillet along with veggies. I wanted the drippings to flavor the veggies.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23606

The veggies were a little bit too mushy, so last night I thought I'd experiment with a way to get the flavor of the chicken, without making the veggies too greasy.

I used a grilling pan for the potatoes and carrots. They were seasoned with some EVOO, S&P, Oregano and Minced Garlic. The grilling pan has holes all through it, so I figured this would allow the veggies to roast up without becoming mushy.

I prefer the Spatchcock method for whole chickens, so I did that this time, and placed half of a grilling basket on top of the pan of veggies. I put the Chicken on top of that, so the veggies would get basted with the drippings.

This definitely turned out much better this time, and the veggies had great flavor.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:22 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Excellent adjustment to your recipe! I'll have to try it sometime...I've put potatoes and vegetables in the drip pan before but never thought of using something perforated to allow the excess fat to drain away.

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:28 am
sroach well done
well done

Look at the big brain on Dyal...

Awesome idea, was there a difference in taste from the chicken drippings?

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:28 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Look at the big brain on Dyal...

Awesome idea, was there a difference in taste from the chicken drippings?

Thanks, fellas...

sroach, it functions every once in awhile. :) The chicken drippings provided great flavor!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:37 am
Griffin well done
well done

Awesome. I've always been concerned about the juices dripping on the veggies for health reasons, but I really have no basis for that idea. Obviously you didn't get sick? I hope?

And quit sending weird texts to me. Interrupting my happy hour. :lol:

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:33 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Awesome. I've always been concerned about the juices dripping on the veggies for health reasons, but I really have no basis for that idea. Obviously you didn't get sick? I hope?

Ha! I have the same fear but I see many do it so I guess it's ok...I guess the drippings is to me what pink pork is to others.

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:00 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The heat inside the grill or smoker kills any nasties in the drippings.

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:37 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Griffin wrote:

+1 to what Brad said. Same concept as stuffing a turkey. The bad stuff cooks off. Sorry about interrupting your happy hour... :lol: Not my fault you didn't understand the "trampoline" joke. :P
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:53 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Well the "jumpoline" text came out of nowhere and perplexed me. No worries, it didn't interrupt anything important.

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:42 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Dyal, that is an inspired meal! I like it, and also that you included some oregano in the veggies. You know, I have a grill pan just like yours.But I do not have an Egg, so I cannot try your trick. :D
Got beer???

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:31 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Dyal, that is an inspired meal! I like it, and also that you included some oregano in the veggies. You know, I have a grill pan just like yours.But I do not have an Egg, so I cannot try your trick. :D

Thanks, beercuer! You should be able to do this on your grill as well. As long as you set it up as an indirect cook, you should be fine!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Doe!... now I see... I just need to get another rack or fish basket to set atop the veggies. Thanks Dyal!
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion