Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce

Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:08 am
Griffin well done
well done

This has been one of those items that has been on my to-do list for I don't know how long. Something about a mayo based white bbq sauce has intrigued me ever since I first heard of it. Since it was a weeknight, I didn't have time to do it the traditional way, slow smoking chicken halves and then dunking them in the sauce before serving. I figured grilling some chicken breasts and basting them with the sauce would at least give me an approximation of what it would taste like, though. Plus it gave me something new to do with boring ole chicken breasts. So on to the pictures.

The chicken breasts got pounded flat and seasoned simply with salt and pepper. Then tossed on to the Egg at 400F with some apple wood chips.

I basically grilled it for 4 minutes, flipped it and basted it and repeated every 4 minutes until it reached 160. I think it took about 15 minutes or so. When they were done, I drizzled some more sauce on top.

Pretty unusual taste, definitely not your normal bbq sauce. There wasn't a hint of sweet to it, but it had a cool, creamy, peppery, vinegary taste to it. A bit of heat on the end, but not too much. I can't wait to try it on some smoked chicken halves. I think it will be even better. Definitely something worth trying, especially if you are looking to break out of your normal routine.

Grilled Chicken Breasts with White Barbecue Sauce

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice looking chicken! I love white BBQ sauce. It's been awhile since I've made it. What kind of herb is in your last pic?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Griffin well done
well done

I believe its Greek oregano. Some kind of oregano. I forget what I planted. Just there for some color.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Nice cook, Griffin! Impressive coloring on your bird. You got me wondering now what a Ranch or Blue Cheese (and NOT Smurf cheese) dressing based sauce would be like. Hmmmm... .
Got beer???

jfm0830 well done
well done

I am not a mayo lover, so it took a leap of faith for me to try the white BBQ sauce. I've got admit I really love it.

Your meal looks great and you actually didn't go as non traditional as you think. The Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Cookbook has a recipe just like this for chicken breasts with his white sauce. I was planning on trying this recipe soon, once again pictures here are pushing it higher up the To-Do list.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice, Griffin! I'm also a fan of the white sauce, especially since it's not sweet. I'm sure you'll like the more traditional style with the smoked chicken.

BBcue-Z well done
well done

Looks tasty!!
I like white BBQ sauce; I had it in Alabama a couple of time, but started making mine, since I could not find it in Georgia.

Return to General Discussion