Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion So excited for my presents today...

So excited for my presents today...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:36 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Come home and there is my FedEx box waiting for me....It has my Wok, Spider, Welder Gloves and Wok Accessories...Can't wait to use it!

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:37 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Got anything special in mind for the first cook?

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:48 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Got anything special in mind for the first cook?

No clue....

I have to season it first so I'll do that tomorrow I believe....Just had a good ol Chicago Italian Beef for late lunch so I'm stuffed!

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Congrats on the new Eggcessories :D . I can't wait to see and hear what you do with them.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:16 am
Griffin well done
well done

Awesome!! You are gonna love cookin' on your new wok. So many things to do. I think Dying_SC is the expert on making non-Asian dishes in it around these here parts.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:18 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Awesome!! You are gonna love cookin' on your new wok. So many things to do. I think Dying_SC is the expert on making non-Asian dishes in it around these here parts.

How long did it take you to season it? Did you season it on the Egg or in the oven? I did it once yesterday but it's not got that color I'm looking for just yet....

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:50 pm
Griffin well done
well done

I did it over a coupla days, if I remember correctly. I'd rub it with peanut oil and throw it on the Egg for awhile. Take it off, let it cool down, and repeat. It never did get all the way black on the inside. It's black down low where the food usually is, but then kinda turns to a borwnish-copperish color. Still works like a champ and is non-stick, just not black. It gets blacker with each cook.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:33 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Sweeeeet! I can't wait to see what you have planned! I seasoned mine inside, in the oven, with Crisco......BAD idea!!! :lol: It kept dripping on the burners, so it would give off flashes of flames every so often. My wife scolded me for stinking/smoking up the house. :lol: Don't forget to cook some aromatic veggies in there before using it for food you're going to consume. The aromatic veggies will soak up any remaining metallic flavors after seasoning it. Just throw the veggies away after charring them up. I think I used a bunch of green onions when I seasoned mine.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Sweeeeet! I can't wait to see what you have planned! I seasoned mine inside, in the oven, with Crisco......BAD idea!!! :lol: It kept dripping on the burners, so it would give off flashes of flames every so often. My wife scolded me for stinking/smoking up the house. :lol: Don't forget to cook some aromatic veggies in there before using it for food you're going to consume. The aromatic veggies will soak up any remaining metallic flavors after seasoning it. Just throw the veggies away after charring them up. I think I used a bunch of green onions when I seasoned mine.

So just put some oil then some onions to finish off the seasoning process???? I think I'm gonna try it out on Sunday....Scared to use it being that I don't wanna ruin anything :)

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:
Dyal_SC wrote:

So just put some oil then some onions to finish off the seasoning process???? I think I'm gonna try it out on Sunday....Scared to use it being that I don't wanna ruin anything :)

Yup! That's it... Here is a video on how to season it. If you scroll to around the 2:30 mark, you can see how she uses Chives to complete the seasoning process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNPe5-swL-k

I happened to have green onions on hand. Just stir them around the Wok so you can remove any metallic taste. You almost scrub your Wok with the veggies. You will notice that the Wok will slowly get darker as you stir them around. Your Wok will get darker and darker over time with use, like Griffin said.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:20 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Congrats on your new toys. I really do need to season my wok. And based on how badly I burned a few of my fingers this weekend using my existing grill gloves, some new welding gloves are in order.

Return to General Discussion