Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Why can't I find Norweigian Salmon anymore?

Why can't I find Norweigian Salmon anymore?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jeffostroff medium-rare
medium-rare

I used to buy real north Atlantic Norwegian Salmon all the time at Costco. They used to carry both that and the farm raised salmon from Chile. In the past year, I have not been able to find Norwegian Salmon anymore at Costco,and the meat department people there are useless, no one knows why.

All they have is this farm raised crap from Chile, when I want real cold water North Atlantic Norwegian salmon, even if it's farm raised, as long as it's north Atlantic. But no one, even Sams Club, BJs, Fresh Market, Whole foods, no one has the real stuff. Why do they only have the Chilean salmon?

Also, why do they feel the need to inject the salmon with orange die?

lostarrow well done
well done

The vast majority of Norwegian salmon is sold to the European Union
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

jeffostroff medium-rare
medium-rare

I found this blurb on the Norway Seafood Council's web site, posted the other day:

Strong growth in volume of exports to Europe

The volume of exports of Norwegian Salmon products in July totalled 78,000 tonnes, up by 21% or 13,000 tonnes compared to July 2011. Almost 65,000 tonnes or 82% of total Norwegian Salmon exports went to Europe. The strongest growth was in exports to Poland, which were up by 44% or 2,759 tonnes compared to the same month last year. In terms of volume, Poland was Norway’s third biggest export market after France and Russia.

Other articles I found indicated that Russia's imports of Salmon from Norway are up 50% in the last year, and that France consumes the most amount of salmon from Norway. Other articles have indicated that Norway cannot compete with Canada and Chile in shipping costs to transport the salmon here to the US. But I don't see how this can be true, because Chile is pretty far away especially from us here in Florida, yet, the only salmon I can find anywhere at any store is from Chile.

I can’t even get any good old American northwest Salmon from Alaska, or Washington. Very frustrating. This Chilean farm raised salmon is just a far inferior product.

jeffostroff medium-rare
medium-rare

I alos found this story on the Norway Seafood Council web site, that actually qunatifies what we are seeing in the U.S., but does not offer an explanation as to why there is a drop in salmon exports to the U.S.

Steep fall in exports to USA

In the 1st quarter of 2012 the volume of exports to the USA fell by 22% to a total product weight of just over 4,000 tonnes. The fall is due mainly to a drop in exports of fresh fillets totalling 1,702 tonnes, slightly offset by an increase in 1st quarter exports of frozen fillets by 428 tonnes .

Return to General Discussion