Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Paella on the Grill.. [Lot 'ol pix]

Paella on the Grill.. [Lot 'ol pix]

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:14 pm
sroach well done
well done

It's been a while since I posted a meal, so... I present my Sunday Dinner for your viewing pleasure.. :D

Someone bought me a Webber "Cooking With Open Fire" cookbook for my B-Day, and there are some really good recipes in it. Sorry Steve... :mrgreen: (Your books are still the best).

I wanted to give Paella a try, truth be told.. my wife pointed to it and said "You're making me this.."

So you start off by cooking down some onions and garlic, then adding broth, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and Saffron threads and simmer a bit to fuse all the flavors.

Cut up some peppers, grabbed the sausage, chicken thighs, shrimp, and a few other goodies and head out to the kettle:

Got my prep station ready and fire up a chimney full of kingsford:

Seared the Sausages and then moved them to the indirect side and cooked the thighs over direct:

Moved them off to my cutting board and started the peppers in the cast iron skillet with Olive Oil:

Cut everything in to nice 3/4" chunks

Someone smells grilled Chicken thighs:

Once the peppers are done I poured in the broth I made earlier, stirred in the rice, and buried the Chicken and Sausages:

Cooked that for 15 minutes and then tossed in the shrimp, added a little more broth and cooked it another 7-8 minutes until the shrimp was nice and pink.

Served it right at the table in the cast iron skillet:

Couldn't have been happier with the way it turned out. It was a big hit with the family.

Got to find more recipes that use the cast iron on the grill, lots of fun making the entire meal on the grill.

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:59 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That's what I'm talkin' about! :D Looks incredible, sroach! I still have not make a paella. On my to do list STILL! :roll: :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:08 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Wow that's an incredible looking paella you just made!! It's funny you should mention that particular cookbook too. I just dusted off my copy of it. Someone gave it to me a year or so ago and i didn't pay too much attention to it because it was about charcoal grilling and I only smoked on my CG.. Now that I have my BGE, I started looking at that book just last night. I didn't find that great-looking paella you made but your pictures have encouraged me to do just that. Really nice job on the paella!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:36 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Nice looking Paella sroach!
I made Paella on my Weber a while back during a camping trip and it was also a hit among campers :)
I think the grill is the best way to make Paella. I also love using my cast iron on the grill and agree, it is a lot of fun to do the whole meal on the grill.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:58 am
Griffin well done
well done

You've inspired me to pull out the paella pan my parents gave me (that I still haven't used). I'll try and break it in this weekend. nice job.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job, Sroach! Like Jamie Purviance's other Weber books, "Charcoal Grilling" is a good one...I'll have to dig up that recipe!

Brad

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:59 pm
sroach well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Wow that's an incredible looking paella you just made!! It's funny you should mention that particular cookbook too. I just dusted off my copy of it. Someone gave it to me a year or so ago and i didn't pay too much attention to it because it was about charcoal grilling and I only smoked on my CG.. Now that I have my BGE, I started looking at that book just last night. I didn't find that great-looking paella you made but your pictures have encouraged me to do just that. Really nice job on the paella!

Jim

Thanks Jim, check it out, Page #152. I will be making this dish again, looks like one of those good entertaining meals.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:02 pm
sroach well done
well done

Thanks Guys,

Real happen with the end results, would like to try some more of them with some different ingredients.

Dyal, knock this one off your list..

Griffin, I remember your post and I think I have the same one still in the box, next to a quesadilla maker in my basement.

SC, I'll check that book out, somehow I can never have enough grilling books.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:24 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Um, based on the photo you posted I think you already have a copy... :lol:

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:37 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Excellent, excellent looking paella, Sroach! One really cool looking kitty, too. 8) :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:28 am
sroach well done
well done

Thanks Beercuer!

HAHA. He is a homeless Cat that has seemed to have adopted us... LOL

Return to General Discussion