Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken observation (now with pics)

Chicken observation (now with pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:40 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Apparently there's something to Jfm0830's comment about chicken being in the air as I grilled some last night as well. :wink:

I put fresh herbs, butter, salt, and pepper between the skin and the meat and noticed that while the meat did pick up some flavor it was more prevalent in the skin. Has anyone else ever noticed this? I cooked at about 375 so maybe that had something to do with it, but I can't recall a situation like this before.

No complaints, though...I love chicken skin! :lol:

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:21 pm
BBQ Deputy

Here's a quick recap of what I actually did. I started with a package of 5 chicken legs; somewhere out there is a 1-legged clucker who's not very happy. :wink:

Under the skin I put sage leaves, rosemary sprigs, and butter. Somehow the combination made the herbs look blue but I promise they really were green!

I cooked at a high heat (375-400) with smoke from some charred apple chunks left from a previous meal. The sage leaves are a lot more visible now.

Like I mentioned in the first post, the skin really seemed to pick up the herb flavor but the meat was really moist from the butter. I probably could've used less than I did but I sometimes have a problem with that. :wink:

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:51 am
QJuju well done
well done

Nice job... love grilled chicken. Really like the herb combination too.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:18 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice looking chicken! Did the meat itself gain any flavor by placing the herbs under the skin? Or was the flavor only skin deep? I had chicken again last night....about to post those pix myself as soon as I catch up on everyone else's stuff. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:44 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

That looks delicious. Nice job!

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:19 am
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
Nice looking chicken! Did the meat itself gain any flavor by placing the herbs under the skin? Or was the flavor only skin deep? I had chicken again last night....about to post those pix myself as soon as I catch up on everyone else's stuff. :)

Yes, the herb flavor definitely made it into the meat but it was fairly subdued when compared to the skin. I have to figure it was somehow due to the fat in the skin plus the butter I added.

Return to General Discussion