Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Doin' Some Dinos Today

Doin' Some Dinos Today

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:54 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Got some real dino bones here. They're huge! Seems like they even have some meat on 'em. Don't know if I should take pics or post or not. But here they are in the package, and rubbed with ground sage and chipotle. Plan to make 'em real saucy, too.

Got beer???

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:22 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

So what's your plan of attack? Low 'n' slow, higher-heat indirect, or direct? You're right, they do look decently meaty!

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:49 pm
sroach well done
well done

DANG.. thems some big ribs.

Just don't eat them in the car:

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you, Sroach-- That's hilarious. These were plate sized 10 1/2 inch bones, and they was deenolicious! :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:19 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Nice one sroach. Be sure and post more pics beercuer.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
Nice one sroach. Be sure and post more pics beercuer.

Thank you for expressing an interest, Smokin'. For you, I will post what I have. I did these all in the main chamber of the CG with my charcoal trays on the sides, a pouch of hickory chips going away at it, and the ribs in the middle. They cooked at a higher temperature than I anticipated, as these new charcoals burn significantly hotter than the ol' Kingsford. Here they are all smoked up just before the final mop and foil phase.

And here they are plated, nice and saucy with corn on the cobs and asparagas on the sides. Too bad the pic is cut off.

Here is another view where you can (hopefully) kind of see on the left side of the rib, the red coloring of the smoke ring. Meat was really moist and tender, but it did have a pretty good tug on the bone. I'm not complaining about that though, as these bones were beefy (1 lb. each average), and most satisfying to me. Anyway...

Got beer???

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:24 am
jstewart well done
well done

Those really are some nice looking ribs, and good sized too :D :D Looks like you had quite a tasty meal. Thanks for sharing the pics!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:03 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking ribs beercuer!!
It’s been a while since I had these. It hard to find descent beef ribs around here, but you sure made me hungry for them :)

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:35 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Those are some great looking ribs my friend. Thanks to those extra pictures you posted beef ribs have been added to the short list of things I want to do on the BGE. Problem is my short list keeps growing into a long shortlist :roll:

You also made a key discovery about the all-natural briquettes. It is just like lump in that you don't want to let it get away from you. I found I had to strain to get Kingsford to give me temperatures about 300 degrees coming out of the side firebox. And that was only in the summer on a hot day. In the winter with the Stubbs that I used I can easily hit 300 on any given day, and when the weather is a little warmer I can easily go up to 350 out of the side firebox. I'll also bet that you had about a third to a quarter of the ash that you would've gotten using Kingsford.
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:31 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Jimmy, Z, and Jim-- Thank you :D

Whenever beef spares go on sale around here and they have at least some meat on them, I'm sure to get them. I'm always looking and hoping, I like them that much. In fact, I prefer ribs to steak nowadays.

Jim, I realize the truth of what you say. I am so thrilled I made the decision to try these. Even if I could afford lump for every cookout, I would still prefer these. All the advantages, but so user friendly without all the hassle and finesse. Tomorrow, I look to help TJ's clear out it's stock.

One thing I'd still like to do however, is someday get a firepit and cook over logs. I'd especially like to do tritips over that, perhaps with apple wood. :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:34 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice! What kind of sauce did you use?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:06 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Nice! What kind of sauce did you use?

Thank you, Dyal :D

I went with the KC Masterpiece. Ordinarily, I choose the "hot and spicy" variety, but this time it is the "original" one, as I got such a great buy on it. No problem... That is why I dressed these ribs with chipotle. I also luv to work the sage into the ribs for that kind of "Western" flair-- a great way to add all the more enjoyment to the old Clint Eastwood movies and such. :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Great looking ribs. I have to find some beef ribs. I bought once and they were bad So I returned them, it was the last pack. I haven't seen that at my local store since.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:47 am
QJuju well done
well done

Beef ribs are my favorite. Nice flavors and a great job! Wish I was there for one of them!

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:15 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Great job beercuer. The ribs look wonderful.

Next

Return to General Discussion