Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weekend Grilling (pix)

Weekend Grilling (pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Here are a few pics from this weekend... Yesterday I smoked up a few brat patties and a hashbrown casserole that I'm working on. I'm going to be cooking the hashbrown casserole at the Eggtoberfest for breakfast most likely (if I can get the recipe the way I like it). It's a work in progress at this point though. :)

And tonight I grilled up a BCC (without the B, just using a BCC holder)...decided to place it in a CI skillet along with some veggies to soak up the drippings.

The chicken got dusted with some Sucklebusters Hoochie Momma and Baking Powder. The veggies got hit with some EVOO, Minced Garlic, Oregano and S&P.

Not a bad meal at all. The veggies were extremely flavorful, but a little bit mushy for our taste. I think we'll probably set it up a little differently next time....we thought the fat drippings made the veggies a little too greasy. We came up with a plan for that though and will be giving it a go in the next couple days. :wink: Fun experimenting!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:44 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Man I'm so jealous you are going to the Eggtoberfest I'd love to head down there for it but that won't be happening! Everything looks great!

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:29 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Nice looking spread Dyal!!
I bet your food will be a hit at the Eggtoberfest :)
I’ve made hash brown casserole before, but not on the grill, so I’ll have to try that.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:59 am
Griffin well done
well done

Experimenting is so much fun. Nicely done, Dyal.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Great-looking spread Dyal! I'll be very interested to see the creative solution you come up with to deal with the greasy veggies. Frankly I haven't been making BCC lately. I found that a rotisserie grilled chicken on my gasser is moister than a BCC. And that Big Bob Gibson's barbecue chicken I made for my first run on the Egg, was the moistest chicken I've ever had. So is a BCC on the BGE even moister than some of the spatchcock chickens you've made? Also I'll tell you some of the names they have for the different rubs and barbecue sauces just crack me up. It's fun just looking at them all in the store to see the creative names people have come up with for their concoctions.

Good luck perfecting your recipe for the Eggtoberfest. It's really funny how your perspective changes. Last year at this time I was shaking my head in amusement at the idea of all of the Eggheads going to a festival. It is hard to explain, but I wasn't laughing at them, it was more I was laughing at the concept of that many enthusiastic eggheads all in one place at the same time. Now a year later I find myself owning an Egg and now I understand that enthusiasm myself. Suddenly I am very "jealous" of all the folks going to the Eggtoberfest. It just isn't in the cards for me this year and it cost me quite a bit to get down to Atlanta now that I don't have family living there. Now I don't want to sound greedy. I am just so thrilled to have my new Egg and I truly enjoy using it. I will be looking forward to reports from the various folks from here that are lucky enough to go in October.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:26 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal, what did you top the hash brown casserole with? It almost looks like a mix of cinnamon and sugar...but that can't be right. Or can it?

Brad

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:04 pm
sroach well done
well done

Those hash brown's look good, when I first saw the pic I was thinking Mac & Cheese..

Love the look of those veggies..

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:
Those hash brown's look good, when I first saw the pic I was thinking Mac & Cheese..
Aha...it's bread crumbs I'm seeing! That makes a lot more sense!

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:25 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You did it again... really nice cookout, Dyal! Those brat patties look so juicy. Coloring on the bird is delightful. Luv to know more about your hash browns. I always thought Southern style hash browns were diced shaped? :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:52 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I certainly wouldn't mind a plate of that. Nice work.

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:24 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Great-looking spread Dyal! I'll be very interested to see the creative solution you come up with to deal with the greasy veggies. Frankly I haven't been making BCC lately. I found that a rotisserie grilled chicken on my gasser is moister than a BCC. And that Big Bob Gibson's barbecue chicken I made for my first run on the Egg, was the moistest chicken I've ever had. So is a BCC on the BGE even moister than some of the spatchcock chickens you've made? Also I'll tell you some of the names they have for the different rubs and barbecue sauces just crack me up. It's fun just looking at them all in the store to see the creative names people have come up with for their concoctions.

Good luck perfecting your recipe for the Eggtoberfest. It's really funny how your perspective changes. Last year at this time I was shaking my head in amusement at the idea of all of the Eggheads going to a festival. It is hard to explain, but I wasn't laughing at them, it was more I was laughing at the concept of that many enthusiastic eggheads all in one place at the same time. Now a year later I find myself owning an Egg and now I understand that enthusiasm myself. Suddenly I am very "jealous" of all the folks going to the Eggtoberfest. It just isn't in the cards for me this year and it cost me quite a bit to get down to Atlanta now that I don't have family living there. Now I don't want to sound greedy. I am just so thrilled to have my new Egg and I truly enjoy using it. I will be looking forward to reports from the various folks from here that are lucky enough to go in October.

Jim

I prefer the spatchcock method, but I was feeling lazy and wanted to cook the whole meal altogether....that's why I chose to do it this way this time...plus, I was wanting to see how the veggies ended up. I've been waging to give it a try since seeing Brad do this awhile back. Next time, with what I have in mind, I'll be able to spatchcock and baste the veggies with the drippings. I have that on the menu tomorrow night. :)

Brad, yup, those are breadcrumbs. My wife ate all my Ritz Crackers, so I had to use bc instead. ;)

beercuer, I'm going for a souped up hashbrown casserole. Gonna call it "Hellacious Hashbrown Casserole"... :) This one had green chiles, pepperjack and Jimmy Dean hot sausage in it. I am going to make some adjustments though before the eggfest. If I get the courage enough, I may enter it in their recipe competition.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:45 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

...beercuer, I'm going for a souped up hashbrown casserole. Gonna call it "Hellacious Hashbrown Casserole"... This one had green chiles, pepperjack and Jimmy Dean hot sausage in it. I am going to make some adjustments though before the eggfest. If I get the courage enough, I may enter it in their recipe competition.

My money is on you, Dyal. Somehow, I think you'd be a contender. "Hellacious" sounds like a good descriptive to use with the added heat you propose. I know that helps bring out the flavors. Thanks for the info of your inspired concept. :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion