Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Testing caputo flour

Testing caputo flour

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:31 pm
jsperk well done
well done

So I got to test out caputo flour on some pizza and Central Milling 00 flour making pasta noodles. Pasta was non grill cook.
If no one has have made a poolish for the pizza I recommend giving a try.
I also did some pizza snacks like Griffin. Didn't look as good as his but they were pretty dang tasty.
Poolish
Pepperoni and ground chicken wit some more cheese added.
On the grill
Bottom
Pizza rolls ready for the grill.
ImageImage
Pasta making
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Over some burgers
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It all looks good! What's the difference between caputo flour and regular flour?

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:52 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I like your creative pursuits, Jsperk. Way to go! :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:34 pm
jsperk well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
It all looks good! What's the difference between caputo flour and regular flour?

Thanks.
Caputo is an Italian flour that is a finer grain. It also can take higher temperatures better than all purpose.
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:10 am
toyman medium
medium

jsperk - have you used the caputo for pasta? if so, how does it compare? My wife makes the pasta and has switched over to using my Caputo and they are at a new level of delicious. I was in the strip a few weeks ago with the intention of picking up a 55# bag of Caputo, but I tore my biceps tendon in July and am still recovering from surgery. I just couldn't make my wife carry that bag from Penn Mac to the car :cry: , so I picked up a few 5# bags. The pasta and pizza look great. I'm going to attempt to make some dough tonite, one handed :mrgreen: , wish me luck, cause I'm out of dough and pizza night is Friday! What is your poolish recipe? I've been meaning to give that a try.
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:16 pm
jsperk well done
well done

toyman wrote:
jsperk - have you used the caputo for pasta? if so, how does it compare? My wife makes the pasta and has switched over to using my Caputo and they are at a new level of delicious. I was in the strip a few weeks ago with the intention of picking up a 55# bag of Caputo, but I tore my biceps tendon in July and am still recovering from surgery. I just couldn't make my wife carry that bag from Penn Mac to the car :cry: , so I picked up a few 5# bags. The pasta and pizza look great. I'm going to attempt to make some dough tonite, one handed :mrgreen: , wish me luck, cause I'm out of dough and pizza night is Friday! What is your poolish recipe? I've been meaning to give that a try.

Toyman, the pasta was really good with the 00 flour. I will try the caputo flour this weekend. Here is the newest recipe I have going right now. The dough has been in the fridge for 3 days. I like the feel if this dough over the last recipe. It wasn't as wet. If you like a wetter dough I can give you that poolish and dough recipe.
Here is the one ready for tomorrow.
This makes a lot. I should have cut in half. I think I have 4 one one pound dough balls.
Hope the arm heals up for you.

Poolish
Ingredient Metric Pounds %
Bread flour 220g 7.75oz 100
Water (70º F) 220g 7.75oz 100
Yeast instant 1/4 g Pinch 0.1
Combine all of the above ingredients and blend together to a
smooth consistency and cover so that no crust can form.
Allow to ferment overnight at room temperature.
Dough
Final Weight
2015g (4 lbs 7 oz)
Ingredient Metric Pounds %
Bread flour or caputo 1000g 2 lbs 3.26 oz 100
Water (80ºF) 500g - 550g 1 lb 1.6 oz 55
Instant yeast 4g 0.14oz 0.4
Salt 26g 0.91 oz 2.6
Corn meal 10g 0.35oz 1.0
Savory oil mix* 35g 1.23 oz 3.5
Poolish 440g 15.5 oz 44
1. Mix all of the above ingredients on 1st speed for 4 1/2 minutes in a stand mixer.
2. Mix on 2nd (medium) speed for 2-3 minutes, slowly adding the savory oil.
3. Place dough in oiled container making sure that the internal dough temperature is
75° F. If it is not, place in a warm environment till that temperature is achieved.
4. Cover and let rest for 45 minutes, then give the dough a stretch and fold.
5. Cover and let rest for another 45 minutes, then divide the dough into 220g units.
6. Preshape the units round. Spray with some oil and cover with plastic so that no
crust can form and place in the refrigerator for later use. (Wait ideally 3 hours
before baking and store the dough like this for up to 2 days.) (I'm going 4 days).
7. Roll out dough to about 1/4” and place toppings on the pizza. Dust a peel with
cornmeal and load the pizzas into a 700°F wood-fired oven with an active fire
burning. Bake for 3-6 minutes, depending on preference.
* Savory oil mix consists of a blend of olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic and
spices of your choice.
Grill Dome/Stoker

Return to General Discussion