Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Kofta Kabobs (pix heavy)

Kofta Kabobs (pix heavy)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Kofta Kabobs are traditionally made with lamb or beef or a mixture of both.
I decided to try pork butt this time, due to its fat content. Kofta tastes so much better when it’s made with fatty cuts just like any sausage.

I started with pork butt, which I cut up into cubes

I then marinated the meat in a mixture made of puree of onions, tomatoes, and chili peppers with some spices over night. I could’ve gotten ground pork, but I wouldn’t have been able to use liquid marinade for the fear of making the mixture too wet and falling off the skewers. I got the idea of marinating the chunks of meat prior to grinding them from this board. I think it was Dyal that gave me that idea- thank you.
Used my Kitchenaid to grind the mixture
Used the dough hook to mix the meat with grated onions, fresh mint and parsley
Used the dough hook to mix the meat with grated onions, fresh mint and parsley

Got Sumac and pomegranate molasses to drizzle on the kabobs once the were done
Also made yogurt sauce to go with it

I have to say, this was the most difficult Kofta I’ve ever made. It was hard to mold the meat due to it’s fat content or may be the texture of the pork. I’ve made this with lamb and beef many times in the past without any issues. But I was able to pull it off at the end.
Here are a couple of test skewers. I wanted to make sure the seasoning was good and see how it would hold up to the fire.
added the rest of skewers
and some veggies
Grilling is done and dinner is served :)
Served the kabobs on tomato/chili bread topped with onion relish, parsley and drizzled with pomegranate molasses, yogurt and Sumac.
This was very tasty and challenging meal. Despite having problems molding the meat onto the skewers, they all stayed on the skewers and I did not lose not even one :D
If you ever made sausage with ground pork, you’d now how that stuff melts at room temp, but I proudly did it even without sausage casings :)

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:20 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Anytime you want me to come over to eat that meal I'll come!
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:43 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Well done! My Armenian in-laws would be impressed. They would also call that Lyula Kebab... Interesting how the name changes throughout the Middle Eastern grilling community (Persian, Turkish, Armenian, etc) but the basic tenants are pretty much the same. Thanks for sharing!
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:12 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

That is one inspired cook, Z! Final plating looks to die for. At last, get to see your new skewers in action. 8) :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Marvelous post BBCue-Z. :)

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks everyone :)

Scorch,
These were more of a Turkish style with the addition of the pomegranate molasses, but very similar to Armenian ones. I believe they call them Adana Kebabs in Turkey. Of course, neither culture would’ve made them with pork; I just wanted to see how the pork would compare to lamb and beef, since I really like using pork shoulder for chunk kabobs as well.

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:25 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Well Done Z!! I've tried making those several times, and I've yet to get them to stay on the skewers the way I wanted to. I've always ended up going back into the house with something edible, but it didn't make the complete cook on the skewers. That was a truly colorful meal you made.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Wow, those look excellent! You are the kabob master! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Way to go, Z! Your family ate well!

I was thinking about something similar for tonight but with just a pound of ground beef...now I feel intimidated. :lol:

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 am
sroach well done
well done

WOW.. that final product looks awesome..

I feel like I want to go find a Gyro for lunch today!

Return to General Discussion