Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Please Excuse Our Dust!

Please Excuse Our Dust!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:41 pm
team Site Admin
Site Admin

We have recently upgraded the board from phpBB 2 to phpBB 3. We're still working out a few of the kinks, particularly in the design. We thank you in advance for your patience!

BBQB Web Team

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:20 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

I don't know if this is temporary or not, but you might want to take a look at the site on a smart phone. On my iPhone the site was virtually unreadable. The text was oversized and the line spacing was excessive. The text in the list of topics was overlapping the text of the entries above and below. Since most smart phones are using a browser based on WebKit just like iOS, I'm sure it looks similar on most modern smart phones. If you are aware of it and just haven't gotten around to it, I'll shut up.

Jim

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:06 am
d_holck well done
well done

Yikers its doing the same thing in Firefox on a regular desktop PC
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jim and Doug, I experienced the same thing (Firefox) and found that clicking "Change font size" at the upper right corner of the page helped a bit; it seems to toggle through a small-medium-high range.

Brad

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:49 am
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

This is very difficult to read, the old setup was much better. On my screen it's "compressed" into the center with a lot of black space on each side that is wasted. Look at the thread about a new charcoal in town, on my screen all of the pictures are cut in half.
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I would also like to chime in and say that the post reply tool or post new thread too are so small they aren't easy to find. I almost couldn't find the post new thread cause it was so small and just looks like regular writing....

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:44 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks Brad. Sadly I had already tried that change font size button on my iPhone, iPad and desktop computer. It seemed to have zero effect on any of those devices.

I also agree with the comments about some of the button sizes being too small. It seems like the buttons I use the most are the smallest and hardest to find and use

I do like the cleaner and more modern looking design though. So it's not all bad news..

Jim

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:12 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

Running fine on Firefox 14.0.1 and Ubuntu Linux 12.04

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:57 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

HoosierTrooper wrote:
Look at the thread about a new charcoal in town, on my screen all of the pictures are cut in half.

Trooper, I noticed that as well. Perhaps instead of being resized to fit the page images are being truncated; I went to a different thread and the photos were also cut off on the right, but not nearly as much.

I'm sure the development and debugging will continue Monday morning.

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:03 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

If I could have a vote, I sure would like to return to the previous version. It seemed so much clearer to read and far more user friendly. I mean, it was just downright intuitive. This version does not seem so well organized. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:14 am
Married_Man medium-well
medium-well

Just wanted to chime in that I agree. Old format was much better.

Clicking "Change font size" does help a bit for me (running Chrome), but it doesn't completely fix it. Text still overruns the dividing lines. I also liked that you could get more threads on a single screen before (less scrolling) and it was easier to tell who started a thread.

Not sure on other's preferences, but I also prefer a new tab when clicking links in a post. The new board goes to the linked page from the current page/tab forcing you to click back and loose the link. I like a new tab because I can leave it open and go back to it later, but still return and read the rest of the thread.
CG Akorn - Kamado Kooker
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Actually I must say there are aspects of this new layout I like better. I actually like the new font, I think it's more modern looking. In this case I'm speaking as a Mac user, the Windows version may use a completely different font, so in this case I am specifacally talking about the font used on a Mac. I like the new layout, I think it's cleaner. I like the way quotes are isolated into a box that has a different background color. That makes it far easier read. I also think there is a little more granularity in some of the selections you have. But please, please, please make the font bigger for some of the things like post reply and some of the things in the sidebar. Also it might be nice if the change font size actually worked. I also don't miss the red color of the frame around the text areas. The black is far easier on the eyes.

So for me, it is generally a positive step. If the image width issues, the text overflowing into other areas problem, the tiny text size for some of the selection links and getting the change font size link to actually work were corrected, I'd be happy and feel it's an improvement.

Jim

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:35 am
jstewart well done
well done

I've been trying with this new layout.....not so sure I think it is an improvement....I'm experiencing the narrower view and some of the elements overlapping as others have cited. Although the font is okay, the "change font size" doesn't quite get there for me. I am a Mac User and since I'm not at work, I haven't had a chance to see what it looks like in a Windows environment (although I will base my judgement as a Mac user!). I know part of my discomfort is due to "change" and I'll work on it, but I'm going to vote along with beercuer about returning to the previous version of the website, it was a lot more "comfortable".....
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:30 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I browse the forum mostly with my iPhone. I'm not able to click on a lot of the threads due to the overlapping. I can even zoom to the topic title, and it still won't open. I know the kinks are still being worked out, but I'm just throwing that out there in case no one has caught that yet. And in case some of you are wondering why I'm not responding to questions in posts in a timely manner. :lol: For example, I wasn't able to open my Weekend Grilling thread until this morning.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:05 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

I'll throw another one on the fire: I noticed in some of my posts that looked fine on the old board, things like apostrophes and certain punctuation marks (but not all of them) were now displaying as a series of oddball characters. So the font character set that is being used on the new site doesn't match the old one, so some of the extended characters aren't reading correctly. What ever was being used on the old site seemed to work okay.

I will concur about the iPhone. When the site came back online Friday, I happened to be out at the grill and was using my iPhone. The site was virtually unusable. Wasn't a whole lot better on the iPad either.

I don't want to be a troublemaker, but as this goes on I keep asking myself the question: wasn't this tested out on a dummy version of the site before it was inflicted on the real site? This seems more than dust, it's like piles of construction debris everywhere.

Jim

Next

Return to General Discussion