Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pizza Pizza Pizza - Part II - On the GraniteWare

Pizza Pizza Pizza - Part II - On the GraniteWare

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

How about a 100% whole wheat pizza this time? This time I decided to add a little hickory smoke to my new charcoal. Awesome. Okay, let's prep the GW pan with a light spray of oil and a dusting of cornmeal.

Here is the dough all rolled out and fitted to the pan. Once again, I incorporated a little crushed oregano into the dough.

This time, there is no need to partly prebake the dough before I top it. The GW heats up instantly. Here are a couple quick pics of it topped.

And here it is, dough now all risen on just placed on the grill.

After 10 minutes or so, this pizza is cooked. I waited for the chips started smoking before I put it on.

Of course you want to see the crust. It's unfair in a way, 'cause whole wheat already has a brownish cooked color with which to begin. You can sure tell by the texture however!

Lastly, here is a reresentative slice, complete with the cross sectional view. This pizza got topped with moozarella, portabella mushrooms, ancovies, (What can I say?) and jalapenos. The mushrooms look cut wierd because with a large portabello, I had to chop it some way rather than slice it like the little button mushrooms. This is one of my favorite go to pizzas. Every now and then, I get such a hankering for one that I have to do it.

Got beer???

BBcue-Z well done
well done

The Pizza looks awesome beercure!!
The curst looks sooo good and crispy. My wife likes anchovies on the pizza, so I always add them as well. Whole-wheat crust is also preferred in my house.
Great all around pizza :)

jsperk well done
well done

Dang Beercuer. I had pizza twice this past week and I'm ready to make it again. That look awesome. I love anchovies. Awesome pizza.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

sroach well done
well done

That looks really good, love the whole wheat.

That's a really cool Pizza stone? do you roll your dough bigger then the pizza pan and then cut around? it looked perfect.

Dyal_SC well done
well done

daYUM! You're killing me with those pizzas beercuer!!! :shock:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Beercuer, how does the GW pan differ from a pizza stone? Looks like it'd be a great alternative!

Brad

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Why thank you, fellas! :D

sroach wrote:
That looks really good, love the whole wheat.

That's a really cool Pizza stone? do you roll your dough bigger then the pizza pan and then cut around? it looked perfect.

Sroach, GraniteWare is porcelain coated lightweight steel. It is more of a pan than a stone, but does everything a stone does with extra advantages. It is lightweight, inexpensive, made in America, often longer lasting, evenly browns a crust with even heat distribution, can even produce a crispier crust (I'll let you in on a secret--The more you oil a pan, the crustier or crispier your pizza will be)! And it can be instantly applied or removed from a source of heat. Stones are what I call "p-i-t-a" pans (pain-in the arse). Stones are subject to thermal breakage, and thus require much time to be applied to or removed from heat. GW can last forever, is nonstick, and is chemically safe to use. And I bet I'm now friends with the folks around Illinois.

That is a really clever idea to trim the excess dough from around the pan, but I did not do that. Lucky me just eyeballed it. Thank you for the compliment. I will tell you how I do it. First is to form the dough into a ball. Then, press it down with the palm of the hand to resemble a hamburger patty shape. If you're not going to toss or spin it out, then take your roller and roll it out, rotating it around the clock till the dough gets out to the approximate desired size. Lastly, you can correct any irregularities in shape by cupping your hand into a semicircle and tucking any offending protrusions to conform to a nice circle overall. :D
Got beer???

sroach well done
well done

Very cool I'll have to look for one of those, and thanks for the rolling tips I really suck at it, I can't seem to toss it either. I guess it's an art that was lost on me...LOL

smokin'gal well done
well done

I'll pass on the anchovies, but the whole wheat crust looks tasty. :)

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I so prefer working with whole wheat. I don't feel guilty as when I work with refined flour.! :lol:
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion