Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pizza Pizza Pizza (w Pizzures)

Pizza Pizza Pizza (w Pizzures)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:09 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

(Sure will be nice when someone fixes the current picture issue, Hope you all check back when they do to catch the other half).

Temp at 107 and complete with thunder and lightning, today I realized my chance to try out that new charcoal. (See here if you missed the post).
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23578
Pizzas are on the menu this weekend. I was going to otherwise add hickory smoke to the cook, but opted to rather check out the natural hardwood flavoring of the briquettes.

One of the toppings for the pizzas was to include sliced jalapeno peppers. I just want to show you my favorite variety

I should also mention that my plan was for pan pizzas. So I prepped my iron pans (Lodge), with a coat of olive oil and sprinkled with cornmeal I just luv a little bit of cornmeal on the crust.

One of the beauties of cast iron pans is that they hold their heat a very long time, so you can keep your pizza hot as the devil. And to add to your convenience you can cut the pizza right in the pan and serve directly from that, right at table. So as not to ruin the table, all one needs are trivets like these, one for each person's personal pan.

Okay, let's make these pan pizzas now. I made my dough with all purpose flour for this occasion to satisfy my brother's preference. See the little dark bits in the dough?-- I like to incorporate a little bit of oregano into it. Oh my!-- What a positive difference and effect that has on pizza dough, for me at least.

Now for the downside of cast iron pans. Since CI is so slow to cool down, it is also so slow to heat up. So I wind up having to prebake the dough before I sauce and top it. Not so with my GraniteWare pan which heats up instantly, and I can top that right away and put on grill. GraniteWare is my own preference to a stone. I am hoping to post an example of that asap. Here is the risen, prebaked dough.

And here is one of the pan pizzas topped and cooked. The other is just like it. I topped these pizzas with moozarella, pepperoni, ground chuck, black olives, and the Trappey jalapenos.

I know you want to see the bottom crust, so here's a couple looks at that.

... And of course the cross sectional view. See what a rise I got out of this? This was a supremely delicious pizza. It had a cracker crisp crunchy crust with a soft, French bready layer a top. The jalapenos really do help bring out all the flavors in all their wonderful intensity. Anyway, two down, one to go-- next one on the GraniteWare, with 100% whole wheat flour and different toppings. :D

Got beer???

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:57 am
jsperk well done
well done

Looking good beercuer. I alwatys forget about adding jalapenos. Love your cast pans. Nice job.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:30 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Very impressive pizza beercuer!!
The dough and the toppings sound sooo delicious.
I used live in Calif and I remember Round Table pizza having pickled Jalapenos on their pizza. It does add a lot of flavor.

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:50 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

thank you, my Friends :D

BBcue-Z wrote:
,,,I used live in Calif and I remember Round Table pizza having pickled Jalapenos on their pizza. It does add a lot of flavor.

Z, coincidentally, it was Round Table that inspired me to include a touch of cornmeal in my crusts!
Got beer???

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:00 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Looks fantastic!

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:58 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Great looking pizzas my friend!! I love that idea of oregano in the dough too.

Hey how did the charcoal work out for you on your initial run?

Jim

I agree with you, I hope this picture thing is a temporary hiccup.
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:10 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks Jim and Eddy :D

jfm0830 wrote:
Great looking pizzas my friend!! I love that idea of oregano in the dough too.

Hey how did the charcoal work out for you on your initial run?

Jim

I agree with you, I hope this picture thing is a temporary hiccup.

Jim, I think I'm in love! :lol: That new charcoal is wonderful! I posted a follow up on that post, noting all my observations. Bottom line is it's very user friendly and burns with a nice clean aroma. I was just getting ready to post my third pizza, this time on the GraniteWare. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:31 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Dumb da dumb dumb on me. I thought the link was talking about your original post. I didn't realize you'd a mended it. I'm off to read it now.

Glad you like it. All natural briquettes seem to have the good features of lump and the uniform size spares you the spikes in temp you get with lump!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:42 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks delicioso! A pizza is most definitely on the menu for me this week!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:18 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The pizzas look great but what really caught my eye were the pans - they look like some accessories I need! :lol:

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:35 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

The pizza looks delicious beercuer. Nice job.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:05 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you SG :D It sure was delicious. Welcome back.
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion