Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion And We're Off! First Brisket on the Egg

And We're Off! First Brisket on the Egg

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:01 pm
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

Doing my first BGE brisket today. Couldn't find a packer so doing a CAB Flat. Just under 6 pounds. I rubbed this morning with a modified version of a rub I found on the Amazing Ribs site. Consists of lots of black pepper, salt, sugar, and variety of spices and powders. Here is the flat rubbed and ready to sit for a while.

I let it sit all morning and then about noon, got my fire up and running. Cooking at 275 grate temp and will cook for some of the time in liquid due to it being just the flat. For liquid, I am using a combination of beef broth, beer, and a red onion. I am cooking on a rack above the liquid until it hits about 165 and then will put in the liquid until I can insert and remove a probe in the meat without any resistance. Here is the meat when it first went on the Egg.

Its been on for about two hours and has already hit 130. In addition, this is the first time I have used my new DigiQ DX2 and I love it. Set it for 275 and it has been rock solid. This will give me great comfort when I do overnight cooks.

As always, I would never be able to do this without everyone's help. Thanks again.

More pics to follow.

Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob well done
well done

After a little over 2 hours, meat hit 165 so I flipped to fat side down and put in the liquid. Here are some more pics.

And my back patio smells AMAZING!

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great start, Bob!

Buckeye Bob well done
well done

All finished and it came out great. Ended up taking about 5 hours although I did bump the temp a little at the end for timing purposes. I pulled it when meat was about 190 but could have maybe gone a little longer. Here is the finished product.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a plate pic but served it up with zucchini "boats" with cherry tomatoes, panko, and parmesan cheese along with some roasted potatoes. It tasted wonderful and did not dry out at all. This method is the best way to do brisket when you are only doing a flat. One more note on the cook, I used Apricot wood for the smoke, which I got from my neighbor when they cut down an old tree. It gave a great flavor to the meat.

Again, thanks to all for their help on this cook.

jsperk well done
well done

Nice looing brisket Buckeye Bob. Looks like you had some very good eats.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking Brisket Buckeye Bob!!
Looks moist and tender. I would say this was a very successful first brisket on the egg.

jfm0830 well done
well done

Congrats on your first brisket cook on your egg. If it is half as good as it looks, it must have turned out great!!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nicely done, Bob! She's a beauty! 8)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

EddieK1376 well done
well done

Nice Bob! That looks fabulous!