Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Family Get-together with pics-Final update

Family Get-together with pics-Final update

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jstewart well done
well done

My two sisters along with a grand-nephew are driving out from Texas to visit for a few days and will arrive tomorrow. My older son, who now lives in Pittsburgh, is currently in Los Angeles working a show and will be back at the house tomorrow. On top of that, my younger son who is in school at UC Santa Cruz will be down as well. With my sons' friends, we'll have about 10 people for dinner tomorrow evening. On the menu: brisket, pulled pork, beef ribs, baby backs, fresh corn on the cob, and the Blue cheese and bacon cole slaw Dyal posted earlier in the week :D :D

I just finished prepping the brisket and pork butt a little while ago. The brisket is 14.22 lbs and the pork butt is just over 7 lbs.

Here is the brisket after covering with Worcestershire sauce and TexasBBQRub brisket blend:

Here is the pork butt covered in Worcestershire sauce and Stubbs rub:

My plan is to get these on the CG about 8:00 or so this evening and cook overnight. There will be more pics to follow as the cook unfolds......
Last edited by jstewart on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:42 pm
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

Sounds like a nice reunion! Good luck with all of the food.
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:01 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Sounds like you got your hands full Jimmy! But they're capable hands so I'm sure it'll turn out great.

Be sure to post those additional pictures you promised. I hope you have a great family reunion.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:24 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Sweet! You're gonna love that cole slaw. I can't take the credit for it though....SCmustardman is the one who told me about it. He had it at the "Fat Hen" in Charleston.... then his wife found the recipe online.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2008/ ... e_coleslaw

I think this was the hit at the party. It was the first thing to go... :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:08 am
jstewart well done
well done

Put the brisket and the pork butt on about 7:45 pm (left coast time) and added some mesquite chunks in for smoke. Temps are settled in about 225 or so and the alarms are set on the Maverick. I think it is about snooze time for me, at least for a few minutes. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I'm adding the ribs and then at the end.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:18 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Save me a slice from the point, Jimmy!

Is this what your reunions look like? :wink:

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:41 am
jstewart well done
well done

Jim,

Thanks for the vote of confidence...

Brad,

Our reunions are not "quite the same" but we will have a good time. By the way, that is my favorite movie of all time!

Here is a shot of the brisket and butt at about 8:30 this morning. They are both about 180 degrees internal. I'm hoping they will finish around mid-day and then I can concentrate just on the ribs, otherwise, the CG will be full!!

Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:20 pm
jstewart well done
well done

The brisket and butt are double-wrapped in foil and a towel and are now resting comfortably in the ice chest. I pulled the brisket after 16 1/4 hours at 198 and the butt came off at 16 3/4 hours at 196.

Here are the ribs after prepping them with EVOO, fresh ground pepper, and coarse kosher salt. They've been on for about 45 minutes now with apple chunks for smoke.

Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:27 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Jimmy:
Please keep up with the reports and follow up pix-when possible. Enjoy your guests first of course while they are there. Looking great so far.

If It's a Wonderful Life is your favorite movie, you must be in hog heaven around the holidays. I swear starting around Thanksgiving and up to Christmas that movie and my favorite HOLIDAY movie (the B/W 1947 version of Miracle on 34th Street) are on so often, on so many channels you could watch it 24/7.

I hope everyone is having a blast!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

jstewart well done
well done

Sorry for taking so long, but the site was down this morning and we've been doing the "sightseeing" and "tourist type stuff" today. All in all, it was a wonderful meal and we had a great time. We had 10 folks here for dinner.

My older son helped getting everything ready for the table.

My older sister was watching as I was cutting up the meat.

The brisket turned out nice and moist and I was really pleased with it.

We also had pulled pork along with both beef and baby backs. You can also see the blue cheese and bacon cole slaw. I have to admit, that was killer! Everyone raved about how good it was, so needless to say, it will be on the menu again!!

As you can see, we also had corn on the cob along with baby russet potatoes. There was certainly no reason for anyone to go home hungry after this meal.

And more ribs....

We had a really enjoyable meal and evening. There is brisket and pulled pork in the freezer in foodsaver bags and we have ribs and other left overs in the fridge. Needless to say, we'll be enjoying this food for quite a while.

And yes, "It's a Wonderful Life" is my favorite movie. It is on television quite a bit and I have a copy on DVD that we watch every year when we decorate the Christmas tree.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Wow!!! :shock: All of that looks wonderful. How the heck do you stay in such good shape with food like that? :lol: I am in shape, but it's more of a "round" shape. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

My, my what a glorious feast, Jimmy! Looks like you had everything cooked to perfection. You must be having a really special time. Luv the red coloring on the ribs. :D

Got beer???

jsperk well done
well done

Great looing meal.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Return to General Discussion