Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spicy Teriyaki Wings (pix)

Spicy Teriyaki Wings (pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

My wife went to a Bible Study tonight with some of the ladies from church. It is a "Salad Night" Bible Study where each lady brought healthy stuff...my wife took fruit salad with her. Well, that left me at home with endless options for MY dinner!!!! :twisted: Mu ha ha ha!!! I didn't go overboard, but I did want something spicy and jfm0830's and Griffin's recent posts had me craving wings... It was a no brainer...that's what I was having!

I started by coating the wings in some S&P, Minced Garlic, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes and Baking Powder. I got the Baking Powder tip from my main man, SCmustardman. That boy knows his stuff! :D It helps the skin get really crispy on the grill, especially when you don't have time to air dry them in the fridge....

I didn't add any wood for smoke this time....I wasn't feeling it. I gave the wings a spray of Canola Oil once they hit the BGE, so it could work with the Baking Powder to ensure crispy skin....made sense in my head anyways.

I gave this sauce a go tonight. I didn't feel like doing anything fancy, and I was in the mood for something spicy and asiany. It fit the bill.

You can see from this picture that the wings crisped up perfectly, without all that excess grease you get from the local wing joints.

Then I tossed the wings with a little bit of the Spicy Teriyaki Sauce...

Then placed them back on the BGE for about 10 minutes to finish up....

The sauce already has Sesame Seeds in it, but I like the crunch and nuttiness that sesame seeds add, so I sprinkled on a little more.

These were probably some of the best wings I've ever had. The sauce will definitely make the rotation at my house. And you bet that I'll be rubbing it in to my wife once she gets home from eating all that rabbit food. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:09 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Absotively positlutely delicious looking transgression there, Dyal! Awesome glaze and marvelous flair with the extra sesame seeds. And what a neat tip about the baking powder. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:09 pm
bartmoss medium-rare
medium-rare

I never tried the baking powder for my wing. Instead, I used to add some corn meal to my rub. It seem to do the same thing
BBQ JUNKY
FAST FOOD Addict

Weber Kettle 22"
Broil King Crown 90.

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:55 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

There must have been chicken vibes in the air yesterday....

Great looking and tasting (from the sounds of it) wings. I like the tips for more crispy skin too. How much baking powder did you use and did you mix it in with the other stuff you rubbed the chicken with?

I will admit I cringed a little bit when you said no smoke. One of the things I loved about my first wing cook on the egg was I was finally able to get more than a hint of smoke and crispy skin at the same time. Using wood chips in the smoker drawer on my KE gasser I was able to add a kiss of smoke. But then I reminded myself you've had your Egg for at least a year now, so I accepted your night off from smoke.

Nicely done all round.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:21 am
jsperk well done
well done

Wings look good. I'll have to try that baking poweder tip. Also if you ever caramelize onions add some baking powder.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:34 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, fellas'!

Jim, I'm not sure how much baking powder I placed on them. I just sprinkled it on and tossed the wings around until the excess moisture was absorbed. Just eyeballed it. I wasn't feeling the smoke the other night. Usually I like a nice hint of smoke, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for it.

jsperk, I've never done that before with onions. I'll definitely remember that for next time! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:15 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking and sounding wings Dyal!!
I’ll have to give this sauce a try.
BTW, you can also use cornstarch instead of baking soda and get the same results-just another option.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 am
Griffin well done
well done

Nice. Wings look great. I'd take some right about now. I'm having some grilling withdrawls. Been outta town since Thursday. I actually drove through Lockhart (and Luling) twice in 4 days and neither time did I even feel like stopping for BBQ. :shock:

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Those look so good. Must have been an awesome meal.

Return to General Discussion