Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu

Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:17 am
Griffin well done
well done

Was trying to come up with something last night that sounded good to me besides wings, burgers, pizza or dogs. Mrs. G suggested a stuffed chicken breast and from there I took it to Chicken Cordon Bleu.

I butterflied my chicken breast, pounded it to an even thickness, then slathered it with Dijon mustard. Next I added some deli sliced ham and some Baby Swiss.

Secured it with toothpicks, rubbed it with Sucklebuster's Hoochie Mamma and then tossed it on to the Egg with a raised grate at 400F with some apple wood chips

I think it cooked about 15 minutes, I'm not sure, I pulled it when it reached 160 so it would carry over to 165 while I whipped up some egg noodles with a lemon butter sauce with capers and artichokes.

Pretty tasty meal. Ooey, gooey metled cheese, salty ham with a hint of the sharp tang of the Dijon and just a bit of heat from the Hoochi Mama. I think Mrs. G is gonna be disappointed that she was out of town for this meal. :twisted:

Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks tasty!

I can't remember if she did it on America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country, but Bridget Lancaster demonstrated that by wrapping the cheese in the ham and then placing the bundle inside the chicken cheese loss is significantly reduced, although it doesn't look like you lost much to begin with.

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:43 am
Griffin well done
well done

I almost did that. I think by cooking it away from the heat, it helped with not losing the cheese. In fact I hardly lost any, it wasn't until I took a knife to it to get a center shot did the cheese begin to ooze out (like in that last picture)

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:51 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That looks amazing, Grif! That is moving up on my to do list!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:22 pm
jsperk well done
well done

I agree with Dyal. Chicken cordon bleu is my favorite meals..
I'm having pizza tonight. I'm tempted to run out an get some swiss, ham and cook up some chicken and make a chicken coron bleu pizza.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:44 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

One of my faves a big +1 to the comments above. You look like you absolutely nailed it. So you did that 400 degrees direct and it looks like you used the Grill Extender?

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:35 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Very nicely done Griffin!
Gordon blue is also one of my favorite meals. I’ll have to do one soon too.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thanks guys.

Jim - Yup...400F direct with a raised grate. I did drop it down to the lower grate for a few minutes on the end just to finish it off as I was getting hungry.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:55 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I love how all that cheese is just oozing out. It's a beautiful thing.

Return to General Discussion