Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Recent Cooks (Long and Pic Heavy)

Recent Cooks (Long and Pic Heavy)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:31 pm
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

With everything going on this summer, I have been remiss in not sharing some of my recent cooks. I have been using my Big Green Egg regularly since I bought it in the spring. I did resize the photos on photobucket to 640x480 but they still look big on here.

Did my first overnight with 3 pork butts rubbed with Steven Raichlen's BBQ rub recipe. Once I locked in the temperature, it held all night with minimum effort.

Made Brined Pork Chops with Balsamic Cherry Sauce and Grilled Caesar Salad. Used Berkshire Pork and it was excellent.

Grilling the Romaine. This is so good if you haven't tried. 30 seconds each side or so and just some olive oil and salt and pepper.

Finished plate.

Also used my new Himalayan Salt Block to make scallops. Really good and have done them two more times since. Just set up temp around 450. Let the block heat for 30 minutes or so and add a little olive oil to the block and you are ready to go. About 4 minutes or so on each side. I will say that the block is difficult to clean.

Salt Block heating up.

Scallops going on.

All done. Awesome!

I made Shrimp Scampi using this recipe from the "Nibble Me This" blog. Outstanding. I made them as an appetizer for a steak meal and our guests ate them up. We were fighting over the bread to mop up the leftover butter and garlic in the pan. I would do in a smaller cast iron pan next time but this was all i had. Also, this is the before picture and didn't get an after pic.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2012/07/fir ... campi.html

Finally, I made Chicken enchiladas on the egg following Eddie K's lead from his blog and post. I made one pan of sour cream enchiladas and one with red sauce. They were both outstanding. Here is the recipe:

http://eddiek76.wordpress.com/2012/07/1 ... efinitely/

I had some boneless skinless breasts so used those instead of thighs. They were from a local high-end grocery store that has a great mojo marinade. Grilled the breasts on the egg around 350 on raised grid.

Here are the two pans ready to go.

And ready to come off and be devoured.

Sorry for the length of the post but had a lot to catch up on. Will definitely be posting on a more regular basis. I have to say there is no way I could do any of this without the help I get from the bulletin boards. Thank you!!!

Buckeye Bob
Last edited by Buckeye Bob on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:36 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

WOW :shock: what a beautiful array of food!!
I love that salt slab and been looking for one.
Awesome job!!

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:12 pm
jstewart well done
well done

That is some amazing looking food!!!! I agree, that salt slab looks cool and the scallops look wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:34 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice job on all those cooks, Bob! You definitely got some skills! :) That himalayan salt block looks very cool... I'm adding one of those to my "wish list" right now. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:04 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Everything looks wonderful, but I especially like the look of those scallops. Great job.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:59 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Thanks for the pub on the blog buddy! Everything looks great I'll have to swing over by your house next time you make those scallops :)

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:21 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Those are some truly great looking spreads Bob. You've given me some ideas of things I might want to try on my new Egg. When I saw your salt block, and before I read the caption I thought that was a real thick block of marble. I was thinking: Now that is a pizza stone! Once again nicely done!

Jim

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 am
Griffin well done
well done

Wodnerful job, Bob!! Everything looks amazing.

Chris shrimp scampi are some pretty tasty bites and dipping up the extra sauce with some bread.....mmmm, mmmm, good!!

I think you maybe the first person to post over here about the salt block. I've seen plenty of cooks on greeneggers, but can't member a one here. From what I here, you don't want to use soap on it. Could you just flip it over on the next cook and burn all that crud off? I have no idea as I've never paid much attention to those posts.

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:41 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Fantastic meals, Bob! I especially like the scallops and shrimp.

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:16 am
QJuju well done
well done

Wow! Some really delicious cooks right there. Love the scallops on the salt block. I got one of those last year and have never cooked on it for the cleaning reason. So, how did you end up cleaning yours?

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

QJuju,

I think I did everything wrong. I ran it under water but that tends to erode it. I have seen where it says to wipe it with a damp towel but my stuff was baked on there. Have also read to flip it and burn off on the grill so have to try that. It does give a great flavor though. Not real salty but definitely enhances the flavor of the food. I say go for it.

Return to General Discussion