Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Egg for Brunch-Spicy Spanish Frittata w/ Chorizo

Egg for Brunch-Spicy Spanish Frittata w/ Chorizo

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

Well my weekend of fun and eggsperimentation continues. Though I miss my wife, there is something to be said for a committee of one deciding when and what to eat. It has allowed me to veer off in any old direction I want foodwise and eat when I want timewise. My mother gave me a dozen eggs yesterday that she wasn’t going to be able use up in a week and I found a recipe in the BGE Cookbook for Spicy Spanish Frittata with Chorizo that would use up 10 of the eggs. Other than Manchego cheese and pimento, I had everything else on hand. I will let the pictures pick up from here.

The ingredients were: eggs, heavy cream, scallions, grilled chorizo, diced pimento, peas, pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika, Manchego cheese, Kosher salt and black pepper.

The diced chorizo is being sauteed.

The eggs, heavy cream, salt & pepper are combined in a medium stainless steel mixing bowl.

The liquids, salt & pepper have been whisked together.

The chorizo, peas, pimento, & scallions have all been added.

The last two items were the Manchego cheese which gets sprinkled with the smoked paprika.

The baking dish with the frittata is on the grill which has been outfitted with the platesetter and preheated to 400.

Thirty five minutes have passed and the frittata is light, fluffy and done. It will go back inside and rest for 10 minutes.

The frittata has rested for 10 minutes. Time to eat!!

The frittata recipe had the time/temperature down perfectly. The egg was moist, light and fluffy. It may seem contradictory but they were also very filling. I’m cancelling lunch today and will skip straight to a grilled pizza for supper.

The fillings were very tasty and I am already thinking of new fillings to try.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:57 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

WOW :shock: great looking Frittata Jim!!
I always make them in the oven and never thought about making them on the grill. I think I’ll do that on my next camping trip.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:29 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks great! I'll have to crack my BGE cookbook open and look that recipe up. :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:18 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I have to stop looking at this post now. My stomach is growling. Excellent work!

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:15 am
Griffin well done
well done

Nice job, as Dying said, I'm gonna have to crack open my BGE cookbood. Been awhile since I looked at it. Did you put the casserole dish directly on the plate setter?

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:41 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Nice job, as Dying said, I'm gonna have to crack open my BGE cookbood. Been awhile since I looked at it. Did you put the casserole dish directly on the plate setter?
Yes it is going straight on the plate setter. I realized afterwards I forgot to spray the inside of the casserole dish with nonstick spray, but I didn't get much burning and zero stickage. Sometimes you just get lucky I guess.

Right now I'm making a lot of things out of the BGE cookbook, simply because it tells you about the proper set up in addition to the food. Plus I figure the time and temperature combos are pretty close to the mark. Once I get a little more learning under my belt I will be using all of my grilling cookbooks again. I also plan to start doing baking and desserts on the Egg too. I just landed a KitchenAid stand mixer about a month ago and have been getting into making desserts as well. One of the claims about the egg is it does a better job than the oven for baking. I plan to test out that claim.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 am
Griffin well done
well done

I think it does because the Egg holds a steady temp and does not cycle on and off like an oven. Some ovens will see a difference of over 25 degrees when it is cycling.

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:21 am
QJuju well done
well done

Nice... I think it is awesome just how varied your BGE cooks have been. While we all know that you are an extremely talented pit-master, one could say that the BGE is a very versatile outdoor cooker, but that might seem like we are bragging. :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:16 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
Nice... I think it is awesome just how varied your BGE cooks have been. While we all know that you are an extremely talented pit-master, one could say that the BGE is a very versatile outdoor cooker, but that might seem like we are bragging. :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
One of the things that attracted me to a ceramic kamado cooker to begin with was the supposedly flexibility, where it could be a grill, a smoker, an oven and knows what else. Part of my goal with this weekend's low stress, "for me only" cooks, was to see exactly what this thing can and can't do. Also where I've never direct grilled with charcoal before, I need to see what I can and can't do and need help with.

Since being given a KitchenAid stand mixer a month ago I have been doing a lot of baking. Mostly desserts. If the BGE really is the great oven that they described it will solve a lot of problems around holiday time where I have one oven into many things to make in it. I can hand off some of those tasks to the BGE. Who knows, by this time next year I might be thinking I have oto many things to make and only one BGE to do them in. But as you say that might seem like bragging too. :wink: :wink: :twisted: :evil:

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:05 pm
QJuju well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Who knows, by this time next year I might be thinking I have oto many things to make and only one BGE to do them in.

Oh... You're gonna want another. :)

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:46 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
One of the claims about the egg is it does a better job than the oven for baking. I plan to test out that claim.

Those butter yeast rolls I baked on the Egg last year during it's first cook were some of the best rolls I've ever made. Desserts cook better on it too.

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:04 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
Those butter yeast rolls I baked on the Egg last year during it's first cook were some of the best rolls I've ever made. Desserts cook better on it too.
That is real good to hear, but the wiseguy in me wonders if that's because you can't add smoke via the oven in your kitchen. :wink:

What puzzles me is moisture is a big factor in how your baked goods come out. It seems like baking in something where you have a vent open to the atmosphere is going to let out more moisture than the oven in your kitchen. I do know I have seen some steam come out of my oven when I'm baking certain artisan breads where you add water to make steam in the oven. I know the Egg has a reputation of grilling foods better because it retains more moisture. However a conventional metal grill is not well insulated and not very tight, so this I can see. But it just seems like a kitchen oven would be tighter than the Egg. On the other hand I do know the domed shape would be far better for even heat distribution than a boxy oven. In any event thank you for reassuring me. I do believe you, even though my brain tells me otherwise. Please don't report me to the collective!

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Return to General Discussion