Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mrs. Dyal's Birthday Feast (lots of pix)

Mrs. Dyal's Birthday Feast (lots of pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:46 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

It was a lot of work, but worth it in the end. :)

Smoked these butts up last weekend so I could concentrate on the ribs and fixins' today...

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... hp?t=23544

Those butts hit the freezer and I pulled them out last night. I heated them up today with a little bit of apple juice...tasted just as good, if not better than when they were freshly pulled.

Then this morning, I threw these 3 racks of baby backs on the smoker. Smoked them up with a mix of Cherry, Maple and Hickory woods...

One of the sides I chose was Big Moe Cason's recipe for Peach BBQ Baked Beans... http://www.grilling.com/big-moeaes-peac ... moe-cason/

I did a few things different though...I didn't use the red bell pepper, used another BBQ Sauce instead of the Blues Hog BBQ Sauce...I can't get that locally...and I also smoked the peaches today rather than grill them like the recipe says. I prepped the beans last night, so all I had to do today was smoke the peaches up...

A good dose of bacon and onions are used for the beans...

After the peaches were done, I coursely chopped them up and added them to the pool of beans....

Here are the beans finished....

I ended up leaving one rack of Baby Backs dry, without sauce. I did place the other two racks back on the egg and glazed them to finish...

The ribs on the left are sauced and the ones on the right just have the rub.

The pulled pork heated up very nicely...

And I took SCmustardman's advice and whipped up some Blue Cheese and Bacon Coleslaw.... http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2008/ ... e_coleslaw

This recipe was simple, yet deeeelicious! :)

Everything turned out killer...especially Big Moe's Baked Beans and the Blue Cheese and Bacon Coleslaw.

Lots of leftovers, so guess what I'll be having for the next few days? :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:18 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Looks awesome Dyal. Enjoy those leftovers.

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:24 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Happy Birthday Mrs Dyal!! Glad to see he treats you right. I know you put up with a lot. :wink:

Excellent looking spread Dyal. I'm full but you still made me hungry.

I can't remember, do you have a FoodSaver? Doesn't sound like you reheated them in FS bags. Therefor I am curious how you reheated your pulled pork?

Jim

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:14 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Dyal,

What a spread :D :D And of course, Happy Birthday to Mrs Dyal!!!! all of that looks awfully good. I have to admit, the Blue cheese and bacon coleslaw looks killer. I have a big cook coming up on Wed/Thur and think I'll have to include that as part of the meal.

Thanks for sharing,
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:39 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Dyal my friend, I must tell you how much I lament not being able to make your invitation. Your whole meal looks and sounds irresistible and I feel deprived! That meal deserves and gets the wave.

Got beer???

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:14 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking spread Dyal!!
I’m sure Mrs. Dyal had a great birthday.
I also make blue cheese slaw, but never added bacon to it. I’ll have to borrow that idea from you :)

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:07 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
I can't remember, do you have a FoodSaver? Doesn't sound like you reheated them in FS bags. Therefor I am curious how you reheated your pulled pork?

I placed the pulled pork in two separate foil pans, spritzed/poured some apple juice over the top, foiled the pans up and heated everything in the oven at around 275 degs until it was heated through. Worked out just fine that way.

What a spread And of course, Happy Birthday to Mrs Dyal!!!! all of that looks awfully good. I have to admit, the Blue cheese and bacon coleslaw looks killer. I have a big cook coming up on Wed/Thur and think I'll have to include that as part of the meal.

Thanks, Jimmy! Don't forget to not add the bacon until right before you serve it, to keep the bacon from getting mushy. SCmustardman gave me recipe and that tip, and the tip worked out very well for me.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments and Mrs. Dyal says thanks to everyone for the happy birthday wishes. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:15 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:

Thanks, Jimmy! Don't forget to not add the bacon until right before you serve it, to keep the bacon from getting mushy. SCmustardman gave me recipe and that tip, and the tip worked out very well for me.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments and Mrs. Dyal says thanks to everyone for the happy birthday wishes. :)

Thanks for the tip about the bacon, I wouldn't have thought about that. After talking to my wife about this, I'm certain this will be part of our menu on Thursday!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:26 am
QJuju well done
well done

That is one fine Birthday feast!! I really liked the blue cheese and bacon Cole slaw. I love blue cheese in my slaw, but hadn't thought about the bacon-- seems like an easy conclusion to me too! :lol:

Seriously... wicked good eats!

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:30 am
Griffin well done
well done

:shock: Delicious looking spread, Dying. Nice job.

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great job! Did the peaches add a noticeable sweetness and/or fruit flavor to the beans?

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:18 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Great job! Did the peaches add a noticeable sweetness and/or fruit flavor to the beans?

It gave it a sweetness, but not a big peachy flavor. It's a fantastic recipe...I'm eating cold baked beans for lunch as I type... :lol: The smokiness is awesome.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:44 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Did you get her an Egg for her birthday? :lol:

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:51 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Did you get her an Egg for her birthday? :lol:

I tried... :lol: She wanted an iHome alarm clock though. :roll:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:44 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Great looking food. Looks you did a awesome job for wifes bday.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Next

Return to General Discussion