Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Good gear

Good gear

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:37 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

I thought I would mention a few pieces of geatr that I have picked up over the years that I now find indispensable.

1) Chimney starter - I don't even remember how I lit up before these things. Mine are old and rusted out but can make a fantastiic scene as fire belches out their tops. For wome reason it always takes longer for a full chimney to light up then books say it should (about 25min) but it orks great nonetheless.

2) Parrafin starters - forget crumbling up newspapers. These things work consistantly and very well. I can light up in high wind, rain and very cold and they work just fine.

3) Spray bottle - great for spraying on my mops. I like a mop too but they get really nasty and everyone I have ever had falls apart.

4) Grill grabber - Nifty little plier like things that pick up grill grates. These allow me to pick up a grill grate that is blazing hot with food on the grill and have perfect control. Not to mention that your gloves never get dirty.

5) Shovel - I use a fireplace shovel to move coals from the bucket that I store them in into the chimney or the fire and to move my coals around.

6) Bricks - I use bricks for just about everything when q-ing. I use them to set up chimneys on, to lift food away from the fire, as a source of heat (Put one in the fire and it will help regulate your heat.)
Live Different

Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:40 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Grill grabbers..now that's something that I could use. It sure does get a little tricky trying to lift a hot grate.

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:28 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting a chimney starter in about 17 days!!!

Using a fireplace shovel for the charcaol is a great idea. I'll have to see if the wife needs a new set of fireplace tools!

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:30 pm
chagan well done
well done

I usually pay the local kids 5 cents to lift the grill. It may sound cruel, but after the first couple of times, they don't feel it anymore and they SEEM happy.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:20 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Maybe we could install a block and tackle over the grill to make lifting the grate a little easier.

Return to General Discussion