Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Handling the heat?

Handling the heat?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:41 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

As I'm sure everyone knows, many parts of the U.S. are experiencing a major heat wave. Are people here cutting back on the grilling because it's just too uncomfortable outside? Tonight I grilled for the first time since last weekend and while I was in the garage the temperature went from well above 90 at the start to 105 by the time my round steak was done, but obviously I had a hot charcoal fire and a cast iron grate in a semi-enclosed space.

Brad

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:47 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

hi brad my grilling hasent changed but the way i grill has doing more indrict or slow smoking so i can stay in out of the heat. its got to break sometime everything here is dead and brown
TIMS BBQ

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:27 am
SO.IL Q KING medium-rare
medium-rare

9th day in a row over 100, but went to a new meat market today who has 25 different kinds of brats. Will be grilling pineapple, kraut and bacon, and some apple brats as well Sunday. Also picked up some headcheese, best i have had since I was a kid MMMMMMMMMMMM!
Hal

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:01 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

I'm lucky in that I have 100 foot plus pine trees to the south and west of where I keep my grill. So in the summer other than first thing in the morning, the area where my grill and smoker reside are in complete shade. On top of that, I also have an EZ-Up Shelter over my grilling area. This catches any filtered sun that might make its way through the trees in the woods. Being in the shade helps keep this part of the yard at least 10 degrees cooler than whatever the outside air temperature is.

Also as was mentioned, remote read thermometers help allow you to stay indoors where it's cool.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:37 pm
502mids well done
well done

I have been grilling, but 105 is a bit much, baked chicken tonight. Grilled steaks tomorrow, hoping to beat the storms
Ya gonna eat that?

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:45 pm
BBQ Deputy

A front finally came through yesterday afternoon and while we didn't get any much-needed rain the temperature did drop by about 15 degrees, so today I have a 4-pound semi-boneless butt on the WSM.

Brad

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:24 pm
SO.IL Q KING medium-rare
medium-rare

Semi-boneless??? like partially pregnant?

Hal

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:02 am
Griffin well done
well done

It is hot here in Dallas, but its nowhere near as bad as it was last year when we had 70 days to 100+ degree temperatures and became the second hottest on record for the United States. I wouldn't say it has been affecting my grilling nearly as much as how much Mrs. G has been traveling. She just got on a plane this morning to Chicago, so I'll be bacheloring it up again until Thursday. Sometimes its just hard to get motivated to cook anything for just yourself when you can just run out and grab something (even when you know you can probably cook it better). I pulled out a chicken breast this morning to thaw out for tonight, but need some inspiration on what to do with it....

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Here in New Orleans heat is just a fact of life you have to deal with. It really doesn't stop me from grilling though. I've been aggrvated though because I'm now sufficiently healed from my surgery enough that I can start grilling again, but we've been having a ridiculous amount of rain the past few days where I can't. It's now been slightly over 4 weeks since I have cooked anything on the BGE :(
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:08 am
BBQ Deputy

SO.IL Q KING wrote:
Semi-boneless??? like partially pregnant?

It was weird. The bone went through 1 corner on the diagonal instead of through the middle.

Kenny, send some of that rain my way...we need it bad!!

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Yeah, we've needed the rain too. It's just the bad timing and severity for me lol. Night before the 4th, we had a thunderstorm come through that knocked down trees and we were without electricity for 3 hours. We've already been having lightning this morning and it's looking pretty dark out.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:30 am
QJuju well done
well done

We just came off about a week or so of 100+ temps. I haven't been grilling or cooking much, but not because of the heat. A bird built a nest right above my egg. I cooked a few weekends ago and felt bad as the baby birds were chirping and the heat and smoke was going right up in their direction. That's when I decided I had to stop cooking on the large for a while. I still did steaks on my small every Friday night, but nothing more. Until this weekend. The birds have all flown away. I cleaned out the nest Saturday morning and cleaned the egg table cover too. Plus a few other cleanup chores in that general area. :) I did wings Saturday night and they were awesome. I enjoyed them while I was watching the Daytona Pre-Race show.

Currently it is 78 with 67% humidity. After spending most of the day Saturday and part of the day Sunday outside... I would prefer the 103 and 26% humidity to the current conditions.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
We just came off about a week or so of 100+ temps. I haven't been grilling or cooking much, but not because of the heat. A bird built a nest right above my egg. I cooked a few weekends ago and felt bad as the baby birds were chirping and the heat and smoke was going right up in their direction. That's when I decided I had to stop cooking on the large for a while. I still did steaks on my small every Friday night, but nothing more. Until this weekend. The birds have all flown away. I cleaned out the nest Saturday morning and cleaned the egg table cover too. Plus a few other cleanup chores in that general area. :) I did wings Saturday night and they were awesome. I enjoyed them while I was watching the Daytona Pre-Race show.

Currently it is 78 with 67% humidity. After spending most of the day Saturday and part of the day Sunday outside... I would prefer the 103 and 26% humidity to the current conditions.

78° with 67% humidity. Wow, that's mid-January weather for us, except the humidity would still be around 98%.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:19 am
QJuju well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:
78° with 67% humidity. Wow, that's mid-January weather for us, except the humidity would still be around 98%.

January here is usually like 20 with snow or 30 with freezing rain. :lol: That was in the morning so we got into the 90's yesterday and will again today. I am sure its not quite like La, but I really enjoyed the low humidity and heat.... maybe I need to move out west after all! :)

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:51 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
Kenny 13 wrote:

January here is usually like 20 with snow or 30 with freezing rain. :lol: That was in the morning so we got into the 90's yesterday and will again today. I am sure its not quite like La, but I really enjoyed the low humidity and heat.... maybe I need to move out west after all! :)

It really surprises me how many folks don't believe the humidity makes a difference. Years ago I spent what I thought was one of the best August days I've ever enjoyed poolside at an Oklahoma hotel. My friends and I commented several times how it felt like an 80° day in New Orleans, which is just unheard of in August. We found out later that afternoon that the temperature had actually gotten up to 102° and we were under a severe heat advisory :shock:
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Next

Return to General Discussion