Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion More General Tsao's Chicken (video and pix)

More General Tsao's Chicken (video and pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Here is a short video of it getting happy on the BGE:

http://youtu.be/hkGyyhc4dY8

Wish there was smell-o-vision... :wink: The cubed up skinless boneless chicken thighs had a great aroma from the seasoned flour mixture while it was frying up.

I took the chicken out with a slotted spoon and allowed the excess oil to drain off on some paper towels. Then I took the papetr towels out and added the sauce.

My wife has perfected her fried rice. It's some awesome stuff. :)

Gotta have Chinese Food at least once per week. It is very healthy for you. :roll: :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:30 pm
Askanison medium
medium

Damn that looks nice.
Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 18.5" Kettle

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
Gotta have Chinese Food at least once per week. It is very healthy for you. :roll: :lol:

Riiiiiiight... :wink: So were you hungry 20 minutes later?

It seems like so much Chinese food cooks so fast there's not much of a chance to get any sort of grill/smoke effect. At least the Japanese have yakitori.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:29 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks like we were thinking along similar lines last night. Nothing special on my end, just a clean out the pantry/fridge stir fry.

Love the video. So did your wife make the fried rice on the Egg, too?

SC - no there really isn't any grill/smoke effect. The benefit of doing it on the Egg is you can reach much higher temperatures (approaching those jet burners they have in chinese restaurants) than you can on your typical stove.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:35 am
QJuju well done
well done

That used to be one of my favorite lunches... yours looks better than what I got from the Jade Palace to be sure.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, fellas'!

Brad, there was no grill/smoke effect at all. Griffin's right, the heat you can achieve from the ceramic cooker is the real benefit for cooking with the Wok outside. With this cook, it was also nice to do it outside simply to avoid stinking the house up from frying the chicken.

Griffin, no, Mrs. Dyal cooked that inside while I cooked the chicken on the BGE. I probably need to look in the fridge and do the same thing you did last night with the stir fry. I tend to always have one or two squashes/zucchinis go bad on me before I think to use them.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:19 pm
Swamp Yankee well done
well done

Hey dyal where did you get the wok holder ? I'd love to try that on my egg. tyia
MHP Gasser
CG/SFB
BGE

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:29 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Swamp Yankee wrote:
Hey dyal where did you get the wok holder ? I'd love to try that on my egg. tyia

That's the "Spider" from www.ceramicgrillstore.com. The Spider is about $23 and so is the Wok. Together after shipping you're looking at around $50 to $60. Well worth the money.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:37 pm
Michigander medium-rare
medium-rare

Dyal, what size spider do you have and would you mind passing along the actual dimensions? I would like to try the same set up on my CGK but not sure which size to buy or if it will even work. I did not see any specs on their website but may have overlooked it

Thanks
Smoke it like you stole it

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Michigander wrote:
Dyal, what size spider do you have and would you mind passing along the actual dimensions? I would like to try the same set up on my CGK but not sure which size to buy or if it will even work. I did not see any specs on their website but may have overlooked it

Thanks

Mine is the spider for the Large BGE. And it was the larger wok...think it was 15 inches if I recall. Hmm... Not sure if it would work. I think they are sorta customized for the BGE. If I were you, I'd call them up and see if it would work for what you have. They may be able to point you in the right direction anyways.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion