Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Porktropolis in Sun Prairie, WI

Porktropolis in Sun Prairie, WI

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu May 31, 2012 5:30 pm
Andy medium
medium

Sorry, no pictures, but I've gotta say, this place is great! Just a little hole in the wall on North Bristol Street, next to a gun shop. I walked in, and was immediately greeted by the man behind the counter, who asked if it was my first time there. I said it was, and he promptly led me through their 12 sauces, each available to taste. Their menu consists of several sandwiches, ribs, and BBQ by the pound, as well as beer can chicken, which is served on Wednesday evenings. All the usual side dishes are available, along with homemade cornbread muffins, and desserts like sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and "chocolate bacon". As of now, I do not know what this entails, but I will try it next time I visit.
On my visit, I had the grilled pork brisket sandwich with a side of coleslaw. Both excellent.
The craziest thing is that this place has been open for a year and a half, it's 6 blocks from my house, and it took me this long to try it. The only downside: they ain't cheap.

Here is their website:

www.porktropolis.net

If you're ever in the area, give this place a try!
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:55 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Andy, how much smoke flavor did the meats have? I ate there back in March '11 and thought that the sauces were great but the meat needed more smoke.

I can't believe I didn't post about it here...

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm
Andy medium
medium

Hey Brad,
I had the grilled brisket sandwich. It seemed moderately smoky, but not overwhelmingly so. Since I haven't tried anything else yet, I cannot speak for the other meats. It's funny that you mention the smoky part, because I didn't see a smoker anywhere. I asked the guy (owner?) where the smoker was, and he said "out back". After I left, I drove around the building, and sure enough, there it was. I did NOT see any woodpile though :?
Still, it was a great sandwich, and I'll be returning soon. I'll let you know more after that visit.
Andy

ps- the dining room & serving area have been changed slightly since your pictures.
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 pm

If you ever get to the Milwaukee area, give Ashleys BBQ a try. They have AMAZING ribs!

Return to Best BBQ Joint