Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Turtle Eggs and a Camping Trip

Turtle Eggs and a Camping Trip

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 30, 2012 12:16 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Mrs. G and I went down to Lake Whitney to meet some friends, go camping and take out our friends boat for Memorial Day. We had a blast, but unfortuntately, that might have been the last nice weekend to go camping down here in Texas before fall as the heat is starting to encroach.

My friend and his wife were in charge of dinner the first night and they brought some barbacoa that they had cooked earleir and just warmed up, so I didn't take any pictures. The second night, we made turtle eggs as an appetizer and then some burgers (that somehow I didn't get any pictures of).

My buddy let me drive the boat...sorta

We found a deserted cove to cool off in and have a few beers. Mrs. G enjoying it.

Then we took some turns tubing (my buddy forgot his wakeboard and skis). yeah, that's me. I still feel sore.

After the lake, I cooked the Turtle Eggs on a lil Weber Kettle. Just used a handful of coals and my Maverick to try and keep the temp around 250. The Eggs I made a few days before hand with a mix of whipped cream cheese, pepper jack and mild cheddar. Sprinkled with Stubbs Rub and then froze so they would keep longer in an icechest.

All in all a great little trip. Lots of fun was had by all. I really need to start saving for a mini or small egg, though, to take with me on road trips. Little kettles work, but Eggs are so much easier.

Post Thu May 31, 2012 9:27 am
tex_toby well done
well done

Looks like all had a good time, Griffin! We camped at Texoma all weekend. My buddy brought his smoker up and we kept it going most of the weekend - ribs, loins, fatties, chicken, brisket, etc... We ate good, but I didn't snap one pic of the food. It seems that when I get to the campground, all I want to do is exist. :lol:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Thu May 31, 2012 11:03 am
jsperk well done
well done

Food looks great. I have to try these turtle eggs. I guess I'll never shed some pounds with the food I have been cooking.
Seems you all had some fun.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Thu May 31, 2012 12:44 pm
timbarber84 medium
medium

griffin the turtle eggs look bigger then normal and i was wondering what you use as your filling i want to try them this weekend
TIMS BBQ

Post Thu May 31, 2012 1:40 pm
Griffin well done
well done

For this batch I used one log of Jimmy Dean Breakfast sausage, but only made 10 turtle eggs (5 people, 2 apiece = no fighting over an odd number). Used the same amount of whipped cream cheese, 2.5 jalapenos and a 1 cup mix of pepper jack and cheddar cheese.

Post Thu May 31, 2012 6:35 pm
timbarber84 medium
medium

thanks griffin im going to give them a try you cant beat jimmy dean sausage its great by its self
TIMS BBQ

Post Thu May 31, 2012 7:40 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice!!! Gonna be doing a little of that this weekend myself. :D I was thinking of getting one of those pull behind tubes for my boat. Looks like a lot of fun! Nice job on the Turtle Eggs!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:28 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Yeah, I'm going to have to remember to take the recipe and do some at my Dad's house on Father's Day.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion