Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Big Bob Gibson's Brisket and Burnt Ends (Lots of PIx!!!)

Big Bob Gibson's Brisket and Burnt Ends (Lots of PIx!!!)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I've been wanting to try this out for so long now. SCmustardman is the one who pointed me towards Bib Bob Gibson's recipe. This was an 11.70 pound Wally World Whole Packer Beef Brisket. I gave it a little trim last night...not too much of a trim, but just enough for the wet rub and the dry rub to penetrate into the meat nicely...

Then at around 5:45 AM this morning, I woke up and fired up the Egg until the temp was holding nice and steady at around 250 deg f dome temp. I used some Apple, Alder and Oak Wine Barrel woods for smoke...I had all three soaking overnight. I used lostarrow's technique (sort of) and threw the BCC holder under the brisket so that it would fit in the BGE... :lol:

Rotated the brisket at some point...can't remember the temp at which I did this...just flipped it around in the middle of doing some yard work...

Then once the internal temp hit around 162, I foiled her up with a mix of it's own juices and some water.

I got done with this just in time, before the sky bottomed out! :shock:

After the finished brisket rested for awhile, and after the rain slacked off, I cut the point from the flat, and threw it back on the BGE at around 250 deg f....let that go for an hour or so. This was my first time making Burnt Ends, but I can promise you it won't be my last! :)

The Burnt Ends got sauced up with a little of this sauce, mixed with a half cup of the drippings from the foil....

We ended up eating an open faced Burnt End Sandwich, along with some of my wife's delicious Squash and Zucchini Casserole....

Definitely some good eats. 8) But now we have a TON of Brisket leftovers to do something with. It was just my wife and I tonight.... :lol: Anyone have any good Round 2 recipes for Beef Brisket?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon May 28, 2012 8:44 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

The part of the flat were not eating that day I cool in the fridge & slice the next day & goes into foodsaver bags & frozen.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Mon May 28, 2012 8:46 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Looks great. I still have to make burbt ends.
Once with left over brisket I just mixed it with tortila chips or doritos topped with cheese and heat in the oven. It was awesome. Brisket nachos.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon May 28, 2012 10:25 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

jsperk wrote:
Looks great. I still have to make burbt ends.
Once with left over brisket I just mixed it with tortila chips or doritos topped with cheese and heat in the oven. It was awesome. Brisket nachos.

Yup, that's for dinner tomorrow! Thanks for the tip! My wife said "Umm, yeah..." when I said "Brisket Nachos"... :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue May 29, 2012 7:15 am
tbk420 well done
well done

I've had decent luck reheating sliced brisket in a steamer basket. Just lay the slices out and steam for a couple of minutes.

Post Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I've never had burnt ends before probably cause I've never bought a whole packer before :)

But they do look good :)

Post Tue May 29, 2012 8:54 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

hey dyle just send the rest of that to me ill take care of it for you
TIMS BBQ

Post Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal, I thought for sure you'd try to put some BBG white sauce on it... :wink:

Post Tue May 29, 2012 9:29 am
Griffin well done
well done

Nicely done, Dyal!!

Brisket tacos are always a hit at our house.

Where do you keep coming up with all these Texas themed bbq items? (The Brazos is a river that runs through Waco, 100 miles south of Dallas, 100 miles norht of Austin)

Post Tue May 29, 2012 10:55 am
Michigander medium-rare
medium-rare

Leftover Brisket on a pizza is a good choice :D
Smoke it like you stole it

Post Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 am
Nick medium-rare
medium-rare

That looks really good, but I have a question about your burnt ends. I have never had them anywhere other than when I have made them (twice). When I did it, I chopped the point up into inch cubes, drizzled with bbq sauce and put back on smoker in a cast iron skillet. They do get a little greasy doing it this way. I noticed you did yours with the whole point going back on, then chopped up after. Just wondering if I am doing it wrong, like I said I have never had them anywhere, so I'm not really sure what they are supposed to be like. Thanks for reply, it looks really good!
Primo XL Oval
BeefEater Discovery 1000e 3-burner

Post Tue May 29, 2012 6:46 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks for lookin' and thanks for the nice comments fellas'! All of you are always welcome to dine at the Casa de Dyal. :wink:

jsperk, the nachos were excellent!!! I'll post those pix in a few...

Griffin, I don't know how I got that sauce. I found it in my cabinet awhile back if I remember right... I'm assuming my sister in law gave it to me for Christmas. She usually gives me some sort of rubs and sauces that she finds unique. This sauce is pretty good, but IMHO it needs a little extra kick. The one I had at County Line in San Antonio was the best Texas-style Brisket/Rib Sauce that I've tried. I would love to duplicate that sauce somehow. I dunno if you Texans like the sauce at County Line, but this South Carolina boy liked it anyways. :wink:

Nick, this was the first time I've made and eaten burnt ends. I've seen people do them the way you described though. But this time I just followed the recipe from Big Bob Gibson's cookbook...

http://books.google.com/books?id=43gGM7 ... ds&f=false

If this link doesn't work, just google "Big Bob Gibson's Burnt Ends" and you will find the link to the recipe. These were very good...the recipe will definitely be repeated!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Hey Dyal,

That is some pretty good looking brisket :D :D Thanks for the pics and thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get back home and put something in the smoker!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Return to General Discussion