Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fish. . . on a grill!

Fish. . . on a grill!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 28, 2012 11:33 am
EODOswald rare
rare

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

I've got my little 5-gal Weber, bulk, lump charcoal (not Kingsford), and my propane torch to get it all started. My wife brought home a frozen fish, which was cleaned, gutted, and de-boned. . . amost as if the fish were spatchcocked.

I'm thinking of doing this on the grill, but am curious about two things: A) can I start it straight from frozen or do I need to thaw it; and B) sauces or spices. It's a milkfish, so would a sprinkle of something in particular be good (I hesitate to use Old Bay because it's the "Old Standby".

Rob
-----
Rob "Oswald" B.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal - 'Initial Success or Total Failure'

Post Mon May 28, 2012 1:10 pm
CharFace medium
medium

I'm not familiar with milkfish, but it seems like you have a nice base to make a great dish with.

You could certainly put the fish on the grill still frozen, but I'd think you would want to wrap it in foil and include all of the herbs/spices in the packet. Even if you do thaw the fish, I have found that aluminum foil wraps can be a secret weapon for unfamiliar fish.

I have prepared several deboned, whole fish caught locally by filling the body cavity with diced onion and tomato. Of course sprinkle on salt and pepper first. Some lemon juice and dill are other safe choices for flavoring. Wrap that sucker up in foil and chuck it on the grill. 10 minutes a side is probably adequate
(maybe 15 if it starts frozen), but by that time you can open the pouch and have a peak.

Good luck!
I always tell the truth, even when I lie...

Post Mon May 28, 2012 2:09 pm
EODOswald rare
rare

CharFace,

Thank you! On your idea, I saw another thread: here, and am going to give those a try!

More to follow. . .

Rob
-----
Rob "Oswald" B.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal - 'Initial Success or Total Failure'

Post Mon May 28, 2012 4:55 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Can't wait to see what you have in store, Oswald! Using a Cedar Plank is also another good idea for fish. It will allow you to grill a fish easily, without flareups, and without the risk of the fish falling apart on/through the grates. You'll also get a nice kiss of wood flavor. If you decide to put the fish directly on the grates, make sure to lube those grates up! :)

BTW, thank you for your service. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue May 29, 2012 10:14 am
Griffin well done
well done

How did it turn out?

Return to General Discussion