Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint BBQ in Virginia

BBQ in Virginia

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon May 28, 2012 2:49 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Many of you are aware from the "Memorial Day cooking" thread that I'm out of town on business over the weekend. I finally had a chance to find a local BBQ place, and taking Dyal's suggestion, here is what I experienced.

To start with, I did a little poking around on the internet. I decided I would ask one of the locals what they would suggest. So, when I stopped by the desk here at the hotel, I asked the question "where would you go for some good bbq?" I told them I was looking for some good ribs. They mentioned one place, but that it was down in Norfolk, I'm in Newport News, and it was a bit far. Then one of the people said I might try the ribs at TGI Fridays :shock: :shock: I figured it was back to the drawing board.

One of the local places seemed to get a lot of good reviews, so I was able to drop by for lunch today. The restaurant is called Rocky Mount BBQ and here is a link:

http://www.rockymountbbq.com/location.html

As you can see, the prices are pretty reasonable. After looking through the menu, I decided on the Chopped BBQ and ribs. The young lady waiting told me they selected good meaty spare ribs and I wouldn't be disappointed. She asked how I wanted my meat, either with red sauce or vinegar. Since I enjoy red sauce when I bbq, I thought I would go the vinegar route this time.

My meal came out on two plates. Here is the meat:

The chopped pork was good, but I think I'm really partial to red sauce. I think vinegar might take some getting used to......The ribs were good and the meat just fell off the bones.

Here are the sides, green beans, sliced tomatoes, and lima beans. The lima beans were really good, but not a real good choice when you're trying to eat low carb meals.....didn't think about that until after the 2nd or 3rd spoonful!

All in all, it was a good meal. Total cost, with tax, was $14.98 and I left really full. Since I'll be out here for another 3 weeks (I do get to go home next weekend), I'll be looking for some more places to try.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day Weekend!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon May 28, 2012 5:07 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks good! Did the ribs and pulled pork have any smoke flavor to them? My wife and I were watching the Today Show this morning, and there was a guy on there who made pulled pork bbq in a crockpot. My wife said "Oh no he didn't!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: I love my wife. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon May 28, 2012 5:55 pm
jstewart well done
well done

The lack of smoke flavor is one thing I noticed. When I asked the waitress when paying the bill how they cooked the meat, she wasn't real sure. I think some good smoke would have made a difference. Anyway, I have some more time to find some other places. Oh yeah, I agree with your wife's comment!!!!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Return to Best BBQ Joint