Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion South-of-the-Border "Lasagna" (lots of pix)

South-of-the-Border "Lasagna" (lots of pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I smoke roasted a Brined Chicken the other day. The brine consisted of some Lemonade, Sea Salt, Sugar, Bay Leaves and Black Peppercorns...

I started with a frozen chicken, so I let it go for about 36 hours before air drying it in the fridge for another 10 hours...

I rubbed it down with my Apple Rub and placed it on the BCC stand without a beer or soda. To be honest with you, I couldn't tell the difference from when I use a soda can or beer.

The chicken turned out great! Nice and juicy and the skin was just right...I don't think the Lemonade did too much for the brine, although I smoke roasted the chicken with Apple Wood, so that may have masked any Lemon flavor that may have imparted into the chicken...

Decided to use some of the leftover chicken breast for a Round 2 recipe tonight.... I was scrolling through Steven Raichlen's Bold & Healthy Flavors and stumbled across a couple delicious looking recipes!

I decided to go with Steven Raichlen's recipe for "South-of-the-Border "Lasagna" from page 117...(had to use my iPhone to cover the ingredient list. :wink: )

This recipe calls for using "Cooked Salsa Verde" that you can find on page 8 of Bold & Healthy Flavors.

Here's the Cooked Salsa Verde finished:

The South-of-the-Border "Lasagna" used layers of Corn Tortillas, the Salsa Verde, the Chicken that I had previously smoke-roasted, fire roasted jalapenos (SR used poblanos which I couldn't find at Food Lion :roll: ), Sour Cream and Cheese... You use a Spring Form pan, so I wasn't about to ask my wife for permission to use that on the grill. :lol: So I placed it in the oven this time....still counts though since I smoke-roasted the chicken. :wink:

This recipe was absolutely delicious!!! The Salsa Verde was incredible, and the added smokiness of the Chicken put it over the top!

Pretty healthy too.... We ate the portion that serves 4 people, but we also only used 9 tortillas instead of 12, so I imagine we saved quite a few calories doing that. This was one delicious recipe. I highly recommend this book for those of you who wish to shed a few pounds without sacrificing on flavor.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri May 11, 2012 9:24 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Nice job Dyal--it looks very tasty.

Post Sat May 12, 2012 6:46 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

That is one interesting and creative recipe Dyal, and it looks like you hit it out of the park.

Now you just keep telling yourself that by eating twice as much and reducing just the tortillas by one quarter that you saved a lot of calories. :wink: I guess that's what they mean by the new math. :roll: Still, I can't give you too hard of a time because you did say "I imagine…"

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sat May 12, 2012 8:16 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

We didn't eat twice as much! Geeze Louise... :roll: We ate 1 entree serving each. Obviously my SC math skills are far superior to your MA math skills... :lol: just messin' with ya... :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

jfm0830 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
?..We ate the portion that serves 4 people, but we also only used 9 tortillas instead of 12, so I imagine we saved quite a few calories doing that.
You and your wife are two people (although if you keep eating double portions you may not look like two people). You ate a portion for four people. So two people eating a portion for four means you ate twice as much. Don't need to be a math genius to figure that out. What I might buy is that you misspoke.

As for my math skills, I always got A's in math in high school and I got a 780 on my SAT's for math, so you're barking up the wrong tree when you try to criticize my math skills.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sat May 12, 2012 9:02 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Your face misspoke, Smarty McSmarterson... :lol: We ate one entree sized portion each, OK? :roll: :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun May 13, 2012 10:50 am
QJuju well done
well done

Killer looking yard bird and the lasagna had me licking the screen! :lol:
Last edited by QJuju on Fri May 18, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon May 14, 2012 9:34 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice creativity! I have to admit that I don't look through that book as much as I should, especially if some the recipes can be adapted for use with leftover grilled or smoked foods.

Post Mon May 14, 2012 9:36 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice creativity! I have to admit that I don't look through that book as much as I should, especially if some the recipes can be adapted for use with leftover grilled or smoked foods.

It definitely has some good recipes in there. Just like the cover states.....Bold and Healthy Flavors. Not really too many grilled recipes, but definitely some recipes that you can adapt for the grill.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue May 15, 2012 10:10 am
Griffin well done
well done

Lookin' pretty tasty, although not like any lasagna I ever saw. :wink:

Post Thu May 17, 2012 4:05 pm
harry_canyon well done
well done

Wow! That looks great.

FWIW: I learned not to long ago that poblanos and pasillas are the same pepper.

Take care,

Derek
Always keep an open mind. But not so open that your brain falls out.

Return to General Discussion