Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill/BBQ the "cheaper" cuts

Grill/BBQ the "cheaper" cuts

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am
cbbutler medium
medium

I just picked up my side of beef and as always, I am faced with the question of what to do with the cheaper cuts. Any bbq or grilling suggestions for the:

Chuck roast
Round Steak
Sirloin Steak

Thanks
Texan living in Minnesota

Post Sat May 05, 2012 11:09 am
lostarrow well done
well done

Sirloin, especially. Top sirloin is a great cut of meat, very flavorful & tender.
Grill like any cut of steak.
Chuck roast works best cooked to 180F ( for slicing) or to 195F for pulling.
Think of it as beef pork butt.
Round steak is lean & tough. If cooking on a grill, I'd sear both sides , pull at rare & thin slice accross the meat grain.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Sat May 05, 2012 1:42 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Top round is a common choice for pit beef.

Post Sat May 05, 2012 4:56 pm
cbbutler medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Top round is a common choice for pit beef.

Hate to sound stupid but what is pit beef
Texan living in Minnesota

Post Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's a popular way to grill a beef roast and its roots are in Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay area (Yardburner's home base). Basically the beef is rubbed and allowed to sit for a few hours to a few days, and then it's grilled direct and often served rare. Steven has a version in his book BBQ USA and a number of people including myself have posted writeups here, but if you don't have the book it should be pretty easy to find a recipe online. Definitely give it a try.

Brad
Last edited by ScreamingChicken on Mon May 07, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Legend has it that BBQ, as we know it, got it's start by slow smoking the cheaper primal cuts. Many do the high heat short cuts but I still prefer to do the low and slow. Grill the sirloin steaks but the round think of as a London Broil, rub with your favorite and put in a low smoke for a couple hours to about 135 internal - pull off and let rest for 15 or 20 minutes tented with aluminum foil. Do the same with the chuck roast.. Both are well suited for a low slow smoke.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon May 07, 2012 11:57 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

In addition, some of the tougher cuts and trimmings make great kebabs. If the meat is sliced thinly, it isn't quite as tough. In fact, I experimented with these last summer using a chuck steak and about 15 marinades and rubs in combination. It was quite a blast and I came up with a few combinations that I cook regularly (and a few that became high-class dog food for the neighbor's pooch). :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion